The Ins and Outs of Off-Campus Dining

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

There’s no debating that Wash U has some of the most high-quality food options for students. However, it’s fairly easy to get sick of the food on campus as time goes on. If you find yourself dreading the monotony of Bear’s Den and the DUC, don’t be afraid to be adventurous and explore your off-campus options! Here are some tips on where to eat if you’re looking to spice things up.

1. Drunken Fish (The Landing: 314-241-9595, Central West End: 314-367-4222)

If you’re craving fresh sushi, definitely try out Drunken Fish. With locations in the Central West End and Laclede’s Landing, this sushi restaurant and lounge is a great people-watching spot, because it’s always packed! Go out with a bunch of girlfriends and order some of their special rolls to share. The Wonderwoman Roll (spicy tuna, crab sticks, and sprouts rolled in cucumber) is definitely recommended!

Yelp Rating: 3/5
Takes Reservations
Recommended Transportation: Car or Bus

2. Ranoush (314-726-6874)

Not in the mood to drive to dinner? Ranoush, a Middle Eastern restaurant on the Loop, is an easy walk from campus. Their delicious hummus, falafel, and baba ganoush will leave you craving more. Added bonus: FroYo is just a few feet away!

Yelp Rating: 4/5
Takes Reservations

3. Barcelona (314-863-9909)

This tapas restaurant located in Clayton gives you a fun taste of Spanish cuisine. Everything is made for sharing, but there are also individual dishes if you’re more of a picky eater. The communal vibe of Barcelona gives it a warm ambience that’s perfect for a fun night out with the girls to catch up and gossip. Be sure to try the mussels and the sautéed broccolini!

Yelp Rating: 3.5/5
Takes Reservations
Recommended Transportation: Car

4. Momo’s (314-863-3511)

This Greek tavern, located close by in University City, offers Greek cuisine also served in the tapas style. There are an abundance of dishes to choose from and share, making it a place that has something for everyone. For some good crowd-pleasers, definitely try the dolmades (stuffed grape leaves) and the spinach artichoke dip. There is even sometimes entertainment included with the meal: don’t be surprised if a belly dancer suddenly appears at your table!

Yelp Rating: 3.5/5
Takes Reservations
Recommended Transportation: Car

So, if you can, try not to get stuck in a rut with campus dining. With so many options of great restaurants around St. Louis, you certainly won’t have a problem finding some fresh new fl

Rosa Heyman is a senior at Washington University in St. Louis studying Women, Gender & Sexuality Studies and Writing. She has worked as an editorial intern at Black Book Magazine in NYC and St. Louis Magazine, and for the web editor at Redbook Magazine in NYC. A Rhode Island native, Rosa likes reading, writing, Kate Moss, The New York Times' Modern Love columns, Paolo Pellegrin photography, and roller coasters.