Career

How To Save Money As A College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

How to Save or Earn Money as a College Student

One of the hardest parts of being a college student isn’t even the workload– it’s saving money! Saving up money is really difficult to remember, but it is a good practice and will be beneficial in the long run. If you find yourself like me and constantly complaining about being broke because of the negative income in your bank account, just keep reading for a few more tips. 

1. Do not order food delivery!!

2. Apply for on-campus jobs (they’re easy and you can sometimes do homework while working)

3. UBER LESS/with more people

-Walking is free and biking is a cheaper alternative in the long run

-Uber with many people so the price is cheaper

-Try using public transportation which is free with a u-pass, or riding the circulator -Book carshares!!! (only $5 an hour, but you have to book a few days in advance because they are usually all booked, especially on the weekends)

-Carshares are so useful when you want to get dropped off at the airport but don’t want to pay $25 a ride; you can just rent a car for an hour and ask a friend to drive you for only $5!

1. Sell your clothing on apps like Poshmark, Depop, or Mercari (or just on your social media for friends/peers to see; you can even offer to drop it off at their dorms for them)

2. Participate in on-campus research studies for pay if you qualify

3. Go thrifting instead of online shopping (it’s cheaper and you can make/alter your own cute clothes)

4. Download the app Unidays for discounts on clothing brands

5. Wait for sales! Join subscriptions for your favorite clothing brands

6. Go to the grocery store and stock up on foods that are easy to make a meal out of for a reasonable price

7. Use reusable plates, utensils, and water bottles so you don’t have to keep buying them

Emily Cheng

Wash U '23

I am a student at Washington University in St. Louis studying Marketing and Psychology with a minor in Design. I love to write food, fashion, and lifestyle articles.
We are WashU's Her Campus site designed for collegiettes here on campus.