This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

At this point in the semester, everything feels overwhelming. Classes are picking up, the days get shorter, homesickness is in full effect. Being in 2020, and living through a pandemic and an election only adds to the seemingly never-ending pile of stress. It is so easy to get wrapped up in everything going on, and adding pressure onto yourself when little things go wrong – so I’ve compiled a few of my favorite things to do to unwind and find little pockets of happiness when the going gets rough. 

Unplug 

First and foremost, get off your phone! Specifically, limit your time on social media. Nowadays, Instagram and Twitter have become hubs for tons of information – and there’s a pressure to know everything that is going on. It’s okay to disconnect for a while and let yourself breathe. 

Netflix Party 

Social interaction always boosts my mood, but during corona times it’s been hard to get together with friends. If possible, you can have an in-person COVID safe watch party of a movie, but if not then you can always use the Netflix Party extension to watch with friends anywhere. 

Eat! 

This sounds basic but eat a meal! It can be so easy to forget to eat or eat something that is not going to fuel your body. Make sure that you get something that tastes good and will make you feel good. 

Drink (TONS) of Water 

Another basic one, but drinking water will make you more focused, ease headaches, and give you more energy. Keep yourself accountable and make sure that your water bottle is always filled! 

Face Masks (not the ones you’re thinking of) 

Do a face mask! This instantly makes me feel more serene, even if I multitask and put one on while I do homework! 

Retail Therapy 

I’m not saying you have to ball out and drop a ton of money, but even buying yourself a cute top or a fun food can be an instant mood boost. 

These tips aren’t an instant way to forget all of the things going on in the world, but hopefully they help you be a little bit kinder to yourself. It’s been said one too many times, but everything that we are going through right now is unprecedented, and everything that you’re feeling is valid. XOXO. 

Hi! I’m Anu, and I’m from a suburb of Chicago! I’m planning on majoring in either PNP of Biochem on a Pre-Med track. I love fashion, baking, and Netflix - and ,of course, Her Campus!
We are WashU's Her Campus site designed for collegiettes here on campus.