How To Create The Perfect Workspace To Take Your Midterms From Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

It’s midterms season, and it’s incredibly odd to be taking such high-stakes exams from home. No matter the testing protocols, here are some quick tips for creating a workspace that will help you perform well on your midterms this semester!

1. Clean your room.

Having a messy room can be extremely distracting, and it may make you feel more uneasy or anxious during the exam. Sitting down to take an exam while not in a classroom setting already makes it more challenging to focus. Ensure your desk is completely clear and put the stuff on your floor away (even if that means shoving it under your bed).

2. Pack a “bag” as if you were going in person to your exam.

I know this sounds silly, but this tip will really help make the exam feel more real. You should pack everything you would typically bring to a proctored exam, including gum, water, extra pens and pencils, and a snack.

3. Turn all devices off or put them in another room.

Again, to create a distraction-free space and as close to normal testing setting as possible, it is incredibly important that you store your cell-phone and any other devices either in another room or turned off and out of sight.

4. Inform your family/suitemates/roommates about your exam.

Do not forget to inform the people you live with when you are taking your exams! Whether that be your family or roommates, the last thing you want is to be interrupted by others’ barging into your workspace. Maybe put a sign up on your door or text them right before to remind them!

5. Lastly, take a deep breath!

This situation is far from ordinary, but you got this!

We are WashU's Her Campus site designed for collegiettes here on campus.