Horror Movies and Shows You Need to Watch During a Socially Distanced Spooky Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Get Out  

•    Starting off the list is Jordan Peele’s award-winning film Get Out. Follow the main protagonist, Chris, as he navigates through the unfortunate events that fall upon him when visiting his girlfriend’s family.   

American Horror Story 

•    This TV series is an excellent show for binge-watching on a movie night with friends. Several AHS fans would note Asylum (season 2), Murder House (season 1), or Apocalypse (season 8) as their favorite seasons, so pick and choose which horror story you would like to follow! *Note that this show is for a mature audience, and some scenes may be difficult to watch.    

Beetlejuice 

•    This classic Halloween movie, Beetlejuice, is a comedy horror film suitable to be viewed with your family. With its whimsical and quirky plot and characters, Beetlejuice will seal you to your seats! 

person holding a remote control pointed at TV streaming netflix
Photo by freestocks from Unsplash

Ouija: Origin of Evil 

•    Want to watch a movie where you find yourself continually wondering why these characters got themselves into these situations in the first place? Ouija: Origin of Evil is the movie for you! Unlike this movie’s predecessor, Ouija: Origin of Evil received much praise, so prepare for a horrifying yet entertaining time!   

The Conjuring Series 

•    Conjuring 1 2 are movies a part of the famous horror series, The Conjuring. Follow Ed and Lorraine Warren as they attempt to assist families suffering from hauntings. In my personal experience, Conjuring 2 was much scarier than Conjuring 1, as it succeeded in making me scream in the movie theater.    

Coco 

•    Can’t handle much horror? Coco is a heart-warming film to watch with your family and friends with an iconic soundtrack. There might not be many spooks in this movie, but it definitely will jerk some tears. Prepare to hum “Remember Me” for a week after watching Coco!    

Harry Potter Series 

•    When you’re in the mood for some supernatural-themed movies without the horror, Harry Potter is for you. Enter the wizarding world of Harry Potter and fall into its magic, starting with their first movie, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. Its warm, enchanting atmosphere is perfect for a snuggly and cozy movie night.   

Hogwarts symbol on paper
Photo by Bich Tuyen from Unsplash

It (1&2) 

•    What is scarier than a killer clown? Not much. The It movies feature the terrifying Pennywise chasing after a group of kids, named ‘The Losers Club,’ and pouring down horror on them. Based on the infamous Stephen King novel, It is the perfect horror film to watch and be scared together with your friends. I found It 2 incredibly hilarious yet horrifying, so make sure to check out It 2 after viewing It.   

Coraline 

•    This list couldn’t possibly be a horror movie good list without the 2009 film, CoralineCoraline is a part of several peoples’ childhoods, and this film deserves a rewatch for us to take the eccentric aesthetic of the film all in. Follow Coraline as she attempts to escape the ‘Other World.’ 

Jane Lim

Wash U '24

Wash U class of 2024 double majoring in Communication Design and Marketing.
We are WashU's Her Campus site designed for collegiettes here on campus.