The HC Guide to Braving the Winter Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

It’s officially wintertime!  As the temperature outside decreases and the temperature in your room increases, you may find yourself wondering how to cope with the harsh weather conditions.  Coming from Los Angeles, the land of eternal sunshine and warmth, I have had little preparation for a “real” winter.  Consequently, I’ve had to teach myself how to transition from warm weather to cold weather, and I surprised myself by learning that it can be done!  Here are four tips to get you through this winter.

1. Layer, layer, layer!

During the dead of winter, a lightweight cardigan or coat thrown over a cute top will simply not cut it.  After being forced to change my strategy behind cold-weather dressing, I have become a convert to the ways of layering.  Not only is it still possible to layer and look put-together, but also it will make you much happier in the long run.  Wearing many layers will ensure that you are warm during your walks outside, and once you get inside, you can take off as many layers as you want to get to your ideal temperature.

2. Make use of the Campus Circulator

Since my discovery of the Campus Circulator, I have become less and less motivated to make the long trek to my classes.  Why walk when you have free transportation?  The Circ is especially useful in the winter, when walking will seem less appealing with each subsequent day.  Instead of showing up to class flustered from the cold, you’ll show up warm and collected thanks to the hospitality of the Circ.  However, a word of caution: make sure to keep on moving!  The Circ can lead you down a dangerous road of laziness, so if the weather is relatively nice outside, opt to walk instead.

3. Make time for cuddling!

What better way to brave the cold than cuddling with your friend or significant other?  Not only does cuddling provide warmth for everyone involved, but it also provides an opportunity to catch up and chat.  If you want to get extra cozy, take it to the next level: get in your pajamas and break out the blanket or snuggie.  Once you experience the joys of snuggling, you won’t ever want to stop!

4. Stock up on food for your dorm room

When you’re in the comfort of your own room, sometimes it’s hard to bring yourself to go outside to get food.  To avoid this problem, stock up on some soup or other pre-packaged foods that you can keep in your room.  You will be very happy with this choice when it’s cold and rainy outside and all you have to do is grab your bowl of soup or noodles, stick it in the microwave, and enjoy.

Good luck to you this winter, and if you follow these tips, you should have no problem surviving this season!