Hanna McCrum 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Are you sick of everything on your iPod right now? In need of some new music to help you survive a long study session or make your pregame this weekend that much better? As the music director for KWUR, this week’s campus celeb has the expertise you’re looking for. She also has an ear for up-and-coming music, a great sense of humor, a laidback, friendly attitude, and did I mention she loves dogs? That’s right, we should all have a girl crush on Hanna McCrum. Lucky for you, it’s KWUR Week so you’ll get the chance to meet her! And hear all the best new music, of course.

Name: Hanna McCrum

Hometown: San Francisco, CA

Major: PNP, Writing Minor

On Campus Involvement: KWUR, EST, Kappa Kappa Gamma

Position in KWUR: Music Director

What does that entail? I’m essentially responsible for communicating with people who send us CDs, tracking how the CDs are doing in KWUR, and reporting those results to College Music Journal. And there’s the occasional ticket/concert giveaway.

What’s your favorite part of the job? Talking to the promoters. They’re super friendly and passionate about their jobs so it makes it really easy for me to work with them from the other side.

You also host a radio show, right? Yeah, I do a show with Kaitlin Huennekens. It’s on Sundays from 4-5 if you wanna check it out.

Tell me about it. It’s called “Prance with No Pance.” That’s embarrassing…We sometimes just play new music that we’re really into that week, but more often we go record label to record label playing featured artists.

Has anything ever gone terribly wrong on the air? We have to read public service announcements on college radio, and I was reading one about animal euthanasia, but I just thought it was about cute animals. So when it came to the part about how many animals are killed each year, I just started laughing out of surprise. And it made me sound like a dog killer. But I’m not! I love animals…

Who’s your music idol? Well, Beyonce of course. She’s kinda the Queen Bee. And Grimes is so out of this world and awesome.

Were you ever into boy bands? I was really into ‘N Sync because I had No Strings Attached, and my friends and I would choreograph to every song. I wish people still did that…

Any KWUR events to look out for? This week is KWUR Week! So tomorrow night is an electronic show featuring Doc Daneeka. And then on Saturday we have the Wave Show featuring Metz. Both of those are free to students, so come check it out in the Gargoyle.