This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Fitting some exercise into your week is an important part of not just your physical health, but your mental health as well. The gyms on campus are closed, and many of us may be thinking: is my only option to exercise safely and cost-efficiently going on a run? The answer, luckily, is no!

Since moving on to campus, here are five of my favorite ways to add movement into my day (for free!).

1. YouTube Dance Fitness Videos

Now that you have a single, you can definitely find the space to dance around your dorm! From Zumba to Hip Hop, these videos are a workout and also a mood booster. You don’t need any equipment besides sneakers. The Fitness Marshall and Fit Body by Ashley are two of my favorite YouTube dance fitness instructors.

2. Yoga on YouTube

Yoga is a relaxing way to start or end a day of classes. Stretching, breathing, and strength all in one make this another amazing dorm workout. One of my favorite instructors on YouTube is Yoga with Adrienne.

3. WashU Rec YouTube Channel

Starting on September 21, WashU’s famous BearFit classes began to live-stream virtually! While I have yet to try out their virtual classes, many of the awesome instructors are the same as last year. The content is also available on-demand on WashU Rec’s YouTube channel.

Click here for the schedule.

4. Long Walks to Forest Park & Art Hill Runs

Take a walk through the blooming, meandering path up to the most scenic spot near campus, Art Hill, in just 20 minutes. After a long day of Zoom classes, this is a lovely treat. Just sitting at Art Hill brings clarity and calmness. If you are feeling extra adventurous and energized, try sprinting up the hill!

5. Workout For Women App

With free workouts ranging from 7 minutes to 40 minutes, the Workout for Women app is an incredible option. They have regular workouts that target your legs, back, arms, but also niche options like workouts for great posture, for running and walking, and for a sound sleep.

Always remember, you do not have to work out. Spending time with friends, watching your favorite Netflix show, or eating some ice cream from Paws and Go are just a few of the many ways that you deserve to relax. You should find ways to destress that make you happy!

Hi! I'm Carly :) I'm a sophomore at Washington University in St. Louis studying marketing and finance. When I'm not in class, you can find me dancing, watching Netflix, baking, and spending time with friends and family.