This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

This summer I filmed a TikTok with my dad that seemed to blow up overnight. Now, about 6 months later, it has almost 6 million views and over 2 million likes and at first, I thought it was just luck that it gained popularity. However, after posting several more videos and analyzing other popular videos on the app, I realized that there are about four steps that will make sure your video gets more views and likes than usual.

1. Use popular hashtags

One of the most important parts of your video is the hashtags you use in your caption. This will automatically get this video more traction as it will show up in places where many users search. Always use “#fyp”, “#foryou”, and “#foryoupage” if you want the video to hit the for you page. Also, searching the trending hashtags and tagging them on the end will give it a better chance of going viral.

2. Make your own sound

The loss of Vine was tragic, but in this past year, TikTok has changed from being a lip-syncing, dancing app to a place where creators can post comedy and “vine energy” type videos. These vine-like videos have the most potential and almost always have original sounds from the creators. If you don’t have to, do not follow a trend and use another user’s sound. Start a trend and do what you think is funny.

3. Duet a popular creator

The TikTok algorithm is already set to favor popular TikTokers that have over ten million followers. If you duet one of their videos, the algorithm will not just put your video on the for you page, but the video will be shown to their active followers. These people are way more likely to comment and boost the popularity of your post. Therefore, it continues to get more engagement and gains views.

4. LIGHTING is EVERYTHING

Finally, if your lighting is good and the video is of higher quality, it has a much better chance of going viral. Audiences are more likely to watch something that is visually appealing and looks professional. I recommend filming outside, or somewhere with better indoor lighting. This will totally change the game and combining this with hashtags and original content, you will probably get a lot more views.

I am Junior at WashU studying English and Biology on the Pre-Med Track. I love to sing, eat, and hike!
We are WashU's Her Campus site designed for collegiettes here on campus.