This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

I’ve finally done it: watched Game of Thrones. I know, I know, I’m like ten years delayed but I’ve finally jumped on a boat headed towards King’s Landing and I’m not turning back. With the show coming back for its final season in April, there’s still time for late-bloomers like myself to catch up. So, this article goes out to everyone who’s been thinking they maybe might someday hopefully watch GoT, and I’m here to shout that the time is now. Hate fantasy? Who cares. Too complicated? Who cares. My major plug to watch the show? The fashion. Now hear me out, I know the show takes place in a fictional Medieval Europe and you’re probably thinking, “Hannah, they didn’t have indoor plumbing, how good could the fashion be?” Well, pretty damn good. Regardless of anything else, the costuming for this show is smart. Take Daenerys Targaryen (Stormborn, Khaleesi, Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains, etc. etc. Girl’s pretty badass, so she has a lot of names) for example. Queen Dany, played by Emilia Clarke, has had an absolutely fantastic fashion evolution mirroring her character’s evolution through the past seven seasons. When we first meet Dany, she’s often clad in sheer, pastel slips to reflect her innocence and vulnerability.Season 1

As she matured to the fierce, fire-breathing queen we know and love, the GoT wardrobe department has slowly but surely evolved her style to resemble battle armour, inching closer with each episode: a parallel journey to her’s towards the Iron Throne.

Season 2

Season 3

Season 6

Season 7

Another fun Easter Egg: Dany’s intricately twisting hairstyles. As the season progress, so does the Mother of Dragon’s number of braids. The meaning of this is rooted in a Dothraki tradition, in which great warriors wore braids to mirror the victories. So, with each conquering, Dany gets another braid. A sentimental allusion to her days at Khal Drogo’s side.Glamour Magazine

Consider this a glimpse of the absurdity that is Game of Thrones. Dany’s just a sliver of all the wardrobe gem Westeros holds. Cersei Lannister, for example, current monarch and seat-warmer to the Iron Throne (“First ruling queen of the seven kingdoms” … she’s a tad psychotic but also feminism is I guess?), has had a costume similar trajectory as Dany. Her outfits have morphed from embellished, flowing gowns to her current staple, a lapelled jacket mirroring that of a Prussian military general.Season 1

Season 3

Season 6

Season 7

So, please join me in April so I have someone to obsess over GoT with. Seven blessings. The night is dark and full of terrors.

Human feminist at Washington Univeristy in St. Louis studying History, Political Science and Legal Studies. 
Wash U class of 2021; Majoring in Psychological and Brain Sciences with minors in Art History and Communication Design.