This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Beauty may only be skin-deep, yet a rejuvenating facial can create a polished exterior to complement your inner charm. If you’ve ever pampered yourself with a facial, you experienced an invigorating and relaxing euphoria—absolute bliss! But you don’t need to succumb to the hefty price tags to reap the envied benefits of exfoliating facial masks. Curating homemade concoctions from natural ingredients offer both an edible treat and deliver a promise of cleansed, glowing skin. Consider upgrading your skincare routine with these simple, twice-a-week mask recipes praised by beauty aficionados. 

1. Honey, Oats, and Lemon

Containing anti-inflammatories and saponins, oats offer a plethora of benefits in exfoliating all types of skin, especially sensitive! Honey, rich in antioxidants and antibacterial properties, heals blemishes and soothes redness, deeply moisturizing your dull, flaky skin. By absorbing excess oil and tightening pores, lemon juice’s citric acid combats acne and lightens scars. The synergistic medley of all three provides nourishment for more supple skin. 

2. Strawberry & Yogurt

A strawberry and yogurt facial scrub is the secret weapon for a radiant complexion. Loaded with the potent wonders of vitamin C, strawberries boost collagen production and protect against free radicals to provide a healthy glow. A velvety, creamy layer of yogurt locks in moisture, supplying toning remedies to reduce discoloration, minimize dark circles, and enhance elasticity. 

3. Avocado, Cucumber, and Honey 

These natural ingredients are fabulous moisturizers to achieve replenished and hydrated skin. The marriage of avocado and cucumber mattify oily skin, clean pores, and avoid potential breakouts. Adding a touch of soothing honey provides a gentle astringent to reduce fine lines and imperfections. 

4. Coconut Oil & Coffee Powder 

With its anti-inflammatory properties, a topical coffee layer removes dead skin cells and regenerates new ones to unveil a fresh, untarnished surface. Coconut oil, long representing the gold standard of skincare, rids the face of grimy residue from the day’s journey and acts as a natural antibacterial to alleviate breakouts. 

At Washington University in St. Louis, Lea Despotis is majoring in Political Science and minoring in Sociology with a passion for law and journalism. As an art enthusiast, she currently runs a business specializing in photography and design.
breakfast & poetry enthusiast