The Do’s and Don’ts of Expanding Your Social Circle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Now that we are well into second semester, it seems really easy to fall into your usual routines and hang out with mostly the same people.  But, as always, it’s important to maintain some variety in your life and get out there and meet new people!  Particularly for freshmen, it can be easy to stay in our comfort zones and stick with what we know.  I’m here to tell you how to change that and help you to expand your horizons!

DO: Try out for new activities and clubs because YOU want to do them, not because your friends do or don’t.  Don’t be afraid to get involved in things that interest you even if you don’t know anyone else.  The easiest way to start new friendships is to find interests that you have in common, so you should have no problem finding plenty of new friends!

DON’T: Always rely on the same people for plans on weekends.  While it is sometimes more convenient to go with whatever plans your freshman floor or your sports team have, try to coordinate with your other friends from time to time so that you don’t get sick of always being around the same people.  You can also invite other friends to join in on existing plans too!

DO: Try to get lunch or dinner with friends you don’t see as much or people who you would like to get to know better.  Everyone has to eat sometime, so you know that your invitation will most likely be accepted!

DON’T: Let your impressions of people you meet be influenced by what other people think!  Try to ignore any preconceived notions or gossip you may have heard about someone you’re meeting for the first time or don’t necessarily know very well.  If you can see yourself being friends with someone, then your opinion of them should be the only one that matters.

Now, HC readers, go out there and expand your social horizons!