This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

The Covid-19 pandemic has changed a lot within our beloved dining halls here on campus. One such change of great prominence is the introduction of Sally: the robotic salad-making machine. With just a few quick button presses, one can make their very own custom salad without any outside hands touching it at all. Currently, three Sally machines reside in The Bear’s Den, each with similar ingredients to choose from. Here is the definitive ranking of these ingredients. (In my opinion, at least.)

10. Roasted Mushrooms

You really never know what you’re going to get with these. If you like mushrooms, I say go for it. You have nothing to lose. But in all honesty, this is a somewhat odd salad ingredient choice and they’re often way too soggy to be enjoyable.

9. Meats

Similarly, getting chicken, turkey, or steak is always a risky bet. You never really know if it will be a good day or a bad day. And if it’s a bad day, these ingredients have the potential to ruin the entire salad.

8. Tofu

Tofu is similar to the meats but is generally a safer bet. It has a longer shelf life and generally doesn’t get as, (how do I say this?) slimy. It’s a good choice. That is if you like the taste of tofu.

7. Roasted Broccoli

When it hits, it hits. But when it’s bad and mushy, the roasted broccoli can really ruin the vibe of a good salad. Luckily, it’s easy to pick out if it’s having an off day.

6. Cherry Tomatoes

Tomatoes are a source of hot contention among vegetable eaters. Some people are tomato lovers while others can’t stand them. Personally, I’m a fan, but I know not everyone is.

5. Cucumbers

A vegetable classic. A great component to any salad. The only downside is they go bad easily and can sometimes get (again with that word) slimy. Ew.

4. The Bases (Romaine and Kale)

While they may not be particularly special by any means, they are a truly necessary component of any salad. Whichever you prefer, you can’t go wrong.

3. Shredded Carrots

Another vegetable classic, but a better one in my opinion. These small slices are able to get in most bites and add something special. Even better, they don’t go bad easily so they are always a safe bet.

2. Tortilla strips and Croutons

These crunchy additions truly make a salad. They have the capability to elevate boring vegetables into something you actually want to eat. So definitely deserving of the runner-up spot.

1. Dressing

A salad isn’t complete until dressing is added for flavor. That’s why this special ingredient is the only option for number one. Everyone needs some dressing to spruce that healthy bowl into something worth eating. (An added bonus is the dressing packets outside Sally for extra variety.)

Lily Gordon

Wash U '24

Washu freshman, singer, animal lover, and chocolate addict.
Aliya is an Editorial Intern for Her Campus Media, as well as a member of the Her Campus and Spoon University community at her college. She is a student at Washington University in St. Louis, with a major in American Culture Studies and a minor in Design. When she’s not aggressively snapping ~artsy~ photos or binge-watching films, Aliya is most likely obsessing over absurd fashion trends or perhaps trying them herself.