Eggs
Eggs
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Cooking in Quarantine

Like you, I have also been extremely bored in quarantine and have run out of new activities to do. However, I found cooking and baking to be a hobby that I can do everyday. Although going to the supermarket is difficult these days, I find it a fun challenge to find/alter recipes so that you can make delicious snacks/meals with what you have in your house already. Using basic recipes and spicing it up based on your preferences is super easy! Here are some of my favorite simple foods to make (there are plenty of recipes online!):

Buffalo chicken quesadilla

Ingredients: flour tortilla, shredded mexican blend/mozzarella cheese, chicken of any kind (I like to use shredded up rotisserie chicken), buffalo sauce, and a little bit of ranch

Directions: Heat up your tortilla in a pan with some oil, mix the rest of your ingredients together, put it all in the tortilla, and flip!

Microwave banana bread in a mug

Ingredients: mashed banana, 1 egg, 1 tbsp milk, 1 tsp oil, 3 tbsp flour, some cinnamon, and some chocolate chips 

Directions: Mix all the ingredients together and microwave for 2 min in a microwave-safe mug.

Cinnamon french toast sticks

Ingredients: 1 tbsp of butter, 2 pieces of stale white bread, 1 egg, ⅛ cup of milk, pinch of salt, vanilla extract, 1 tsp cinnamon powder, and 2 tsp white sugar

Directions: Mix your egg, milk, salt, and vanilla. Cut your bread into 3 slivers per piece (I like to cut off the crust), and dip the pieces into the egg, milk, salt, and vanilla mixture. Mix the cinnamon and sugar together separately. Cook the bread pieces in a buttered pan and then dip into the cinnamon and sugar mixture when done.

Parmesan garlic fries

Ingredients: potatoes, salt and pepper, parmesan cheese, parsley, and garlic

Directions: Cut up potatoes so that they’re like fries, season with salt, pepper, and oil, bake potatoes to however well you like them, and then toss them in the rest of the ingredients after.

2-ingredient ice cream

Ingredients: 2 frozen bananas and 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder

Directions: Freeze your bananas overnight and then blend with the cocoa powder! Super simple and healthy!

Thick smoothie bowl

Ingredients: frozen fruit (ex. 2 bananas) and fresh fruit (ex. strawberries)

Directions: Just blend the two! You can add more fruits and even veggies if you want. Just make sure the frozen-to-not-frozen ratio stays equal (half and half).

Emily Cheng

Wash U '23

I am a student at Washington University in St. Louis studying Marketing and Psychology with a minor in Design. I love to write food, fashion, and lifestyle articles.
We are WashU's Her Campus site designed for collegiettes here on campus.