This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Meet Connor Roach, better known as Roach or Roché.  You might recognize him mixing tracks at WILD or by his Saturday night dance moves on stage at Harry’s. When he’s not producing music in his room, you’ll find him studying American culture in Olin or doing community service with his frat, AEPI. Connor is also taking a short break from varsity soccer, which he played through his freshman year and plans to continue starting in the spring.

Hometown: Chapel Hill, North Carolina

Grade: Sophomore

Potential Major: American Culture Studies with a concentration in Pop Culture

When did you first get interested in DJing? Around 8 months ago. I did FSAP (Freshman Summer Academic Program) with the guy I DJ with now, Kesar Varma. He taught me to use the board, and then we decided to start working together.

What is it like working with Kesar? It’s very easy because I know him so well and because we have a very similar taste in music. Our friendship makes it really fun. 

What is your favorite type of music? Probably rap. I also like progressive house, which is basically general electric music.

Why is that? I like the culture around it.  I’ve been to a few festivals and every time I am in the crowd, I just want to be the guy up on stage. I really want to DJ in front of thousands of people.

Do you have a go-to song?  There’s a 90’s throwback called “Tubthumping” by Chumbawamba.  “I Need Your Love” by Ellie Golding is also great. People go wild.

What venues have you DJed at? Harry’s and Lotus multiple times.  We also did Bauhaus. Right now, we are working on a three-day college trip.

What colleges are you headed to? Purdue, Michigan, and Michigan State.  It should be pretty fun.

What was your favorite venue to DJ at? Probably Harry’s because we DJ there all the time so I’m comfortable there.

If you could DJ at any venue, what would it be? It would probably Ushuaia Beach Hotel in Ibiza, which is an island off of Spain.

What is your pre-DJing routine? We don’t really do any prepping at all because we like free styling. We get there early and relax. Some stuff I can’t say.

How do you read a crowd? For the most part, we look to see if people are dancing. If it’s a huge venue, we like to do the top 40 vocals. If it’s a club, we like to do hard electro music.

How would describe your fashion sense?  Skinny jeans, high tops or Sperry’s, and crew necks–that’s what I wear every day.

Do you ever wear hats on stage? Never. I look terrible in hats.

What artists would you like to collaborate with? R.L. Grim, because he mixes electronic and hip-hop. I like when electronic music has hip-hop undertones. I want to start using that technique as I produce more music.

What are your other hobbies? I play soccer and other sports. I love watching movies, and I’ve tried to get involved with some community service.

What’s your favorite movie? “Saving Private Ryan” is probably my favorite. I’ve seen it thirty times and every time I see it, I think it’s better than the last.

Do you like any chick flicks? “Mean Girls” was great. I also liked “Crazy Stupid Love.” Ryan Gosling is the man.