College Kitchen: Lean Mean Protein Scramble

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Ingredients:

1 cup pre-cooked brown rice
1 cup eggs or egg whites
4 chicken sausages, browned (or any kind of sausage you like)
1 tsp olive oil or cooking spray
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Heat a medium to large sautee pan with oil or cooking spray for a minute. Slice the chicken sausages into bite size pieces and toss into the pan. Most sausages these days are pre-cooked, so they just need to get brown and caramelized to bring out the flavors. Stir the sausages for even color on all sides. After 2-3 minutes, they should be sufficiently brown. Add the pre-cooked rice and stir again. It will get a little crispy, similar to fried rice, after 2 minutes. Add egg, salt and pepper (about an 1/8 of a teaspoon each), and DO NOT STIR YET. You want the eggs to become slightly crispy for more flavor, like the image pictured here. 

After one minute, stir, and the eggs should be about cooked. You are not looking for hard eggs, but they should not be too runny. Divide onto 4 plates and enjoy! A little sour cream, ketchup or hot sauce NEVER hurts a good egg dish.  

This dish has less than 250 calories per serving! If you are a lone cook, simply cut the measurements by 4, and it is just as easy, if not easier to prepare. This dish can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, or dinner! Be brave, College Cooks, and enjoy!

My name is Sophie Borden, and I am a senior with a double major in Environmental Studies and Spanish, and a minor in Writing. The premise of this column is healthy, fast, and CHEAP food recipes that college students can cook in their own kitchens. I plan on doing a mix of set recipes and lots of “How To” pieces (i.e. “How To: Cook the Perfect Omelet”). Bon Appetit!

Rosa Heyman is a senior at Washington University in St. Louis studying Women, Gender & Sexuality Studies and Writing. She has worked as an editorial intern at Black Book Magazine in NYC and St. Louis Magazine, and for the web editor at Redbook Magazine in NYC. A Rhode Island native, Rosa likes reading, writing, Kate Moss, The New York Times' Modern Love columns, Paolo Pellegrin photography, and roller coasters.