College Kitchen: How to Cook the Perfect Omelette

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Hello Hungry Students!

This week, inspired by a few breakfast requests I’ve gotten, I will be instructing how to make a perfect omelet. This is my go-to breakfast; you can put ANYTHING in an omelet, it is filling, healthy, and you can eat it with hot sauce. Hopefully these instructions for a simple omelet will inspire the College Cooks inside you to get creative with ingredients. In my opinion, a picture-perfect omelet is not only a feat, but also extremely impressive for whoever you may be cooking it for.

Ingredients:
.5 Cup-1 cup of sauteed veggies/meats (this depends on how full you like your omelet)
3 Tbsp of cheese
.5 Cup egg whites or 2 eggs
2 Tsp of oil, butter or cooking spray
Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:
Heat a medium saute pan with oil/butter/cooking spray for one minute. Saute ingredients of your choice! In my all vegetarian omelet, i used about 1/4 cup of frozen corn, 1/2 cup of spinach and 1/2 cup of onions. If you choose to add raw meat to your omelet, make sure to cook this before adding the veggies because it will take twice as long to cook through. Add lots of salt and pepper to the veggies/meat. Saute ingredients until browned, and then put them on a separate plate. DO NOT ADD EGGS YET.

Add the other half of oil/butter/cooking spray to hot, empty pan. Add beaten eggs/egg whites and DO NOT TOUCH the eggs. Leave them be in a thin layer in the pan. If the pan is hot, the eggs should start cooking all the way through in about 1 minute. When you start to see the eggs cook along the outside of the pan (they will turn white/yellow opaque), move the sides of the omelet away from the pan with a spatula so the uncooked eggs get underneath the cooked ones (see photo). You should still be left with a perfectly round omelet. When about 85% of the omelet is set, and there is only a small amount of uncooked egg in middle, add cheese, and let melt for 1-2 minutes. Add salt and pepper to cheese and eggs. When cheese is melted, add ingredients that you put aside to one half of the omelet. Flip the bare side of the eggs on top of the other, and let sit for 1 minute to get set up. Slide omelet onto a plate and EAT! (It should come out of the pan easily without breaking if you use oil or cooking spray) Serve with your favorite hot sauce, unless you’re a wimp. 

Cook your roommate or boyfriend a perfect omelet this Saturday morning, and you will be loved even more.

Rosa Heyman is a senior at Washington University in St. Louis studying Women, Gender & Sexuality Studies and Writing. She has worked as an editorial intern at Black Book Magazine in NYC and St. Louis Magazine, and for the web editor at Redbook Magazine in NYC. A Rhode Island native, Rosa likes reading, writing, Kate Moss, The New York Times' Modern Love columns, Paolo Pellegrin photography, and roller coasters.