College Kitchen: Healthy Spicy Asian Noodles… With Sausage!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Hello college cooks! I’d like to share my new obsession: Shiratki Noodles. These Asian noodles, which look and taste like glass noodles, are made out of TOFU and have only 5 calories per serving. Even if you eat the whole box, it is only 25 calories! In this amazing recipe, I sauté broccoli, peas, onions, sweet potatoes, and chicken sausage before I add the noodles. A mix of salt, pepper, hot sauce, and soy sauce makes the perfect Asian inspired sauce with a huge kick!

Ingredients:
2 cups frozen broccoli
1 cup frozen peas
1 large (or 2 small) sweet potatoes
1 large onion
2 chicken sausages, sliced
1 box of Shiratki Noodles (or any brand of “Tofu Noodles.”  You can buy them at either Schnucks or Whole Foods, but Trader Joe’s does not have them)

Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon of hot sauce (or more to taste)
4 tablespoons of soy sauce
1 teaspoon of olive oil or cooking spray for pan

Instructions:
Heat large sauté pan with oil or cooking spray over medium heat for one minute. Slice onion and add to pan. Dice sweet potatoes into bite size pieces and add to pan. Sauté for about 3-4 minutes. They should turn brown on the sides and should start to become soft. The onions should also be soft and caramelized. Add salt and pepper, about 1/4 teaspoon of each. Don’t be afraid to flavor your food! Once sweet potatoes and onions are cooked, add sliced chicken sausage and brown for 2 minutes (remember, they are pre-cooked). Once you start to see brown on the sausage, add the broccoli and cook for 2-3 minutes, until they heat through. Add the peas and Shiratki noodles and toss to mix all of the ingredients together. Add soy sauce and hot sauce until everything is coated. At this point, every component of the dish should be cooked, hot, and delicious, so split onto 4 plates and enjoy!

Serves 4

I love to add Sriracha sauce for some extra flavor and heat.

Bon Appetit!

Rosa Heyman is a senior at Washington University in St. Louis studying Women, Gender & Sexuality Studies and Writing. She has worked as an editorial intern at Black Book Magazine in NYC and St. Louis Magazine, and for the web editor at Redbook Magazine in NYC. A Rhode Island native, Rosa likes reading, writing, Kate Moss, The New York Times' Modern Love columns, Paolo Pellegrin photography, and roller coasters.