Campus Style: Lazy Sundays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Name: Sean Ku
Home Town: Plano, Texas
Class of: 2014

It’s Sunday again – time to break out the books and dive into study mode. More often than not, this day of rest turns into a day of stress that leaves the devoted student thinking they have to forgo any semblance of fashion sense they might have possessed during the rest of the week. Just because the weight of all the books you have to read could probably crush you doesn’t mean you can’t look good while it happens! Every minute is precious on Sundays, but staying chic is a lot simpler than you might think. Hey, being premed doesn’t stop Sean from looking cute, even on her busiest days!

AH: You look comfy AND cute! What are you currently wearing?
SK: I’m wearing a sweater from Madewell, and a button down from Gap, which was actually less than $5 when I bought it, so it was such a good deal! I’m wearing H&M leggings, H&M camps socks, Madewell boots, and my prized J. Crew sea foam green scarf. Also, I’m wearing an Anthropologie headband, a ring from James Avery that my mom gave me, a Michael Kors watch, a Tiffany heart necklace, and pearl earrings.

AH: Are any of those things something you wear every day?
SK: There are a couple things I wear everyday. I’m usually wearing my Tiffany necklace, because someone special gave it to me, and I’m normally wearing my ring and my watch. I wear the watch all the time, because it was a really big purchase that I had made, and I just love it; I’m a watch fanatic. I go crazy when I can’t wear it. But it’s more than that; it’s a statement piece. My grandma asked me the other day, “Why are you wearing a man’s watch?” I was like, “It’s not a man’s watch!”

AH: Your grandma sounds precious. Okay, so Sundays are study days – how do you dress comfortably while in study mode, but still manage to look cute at the same time?
SK: Leggings are staple items for me; I just kind of live in them. But I really like loose flowy clothing to begin with; there’s no need to get all tight up in here. Also accessories really help. Thank God it’s cold outside so I don’t look like a total freak wearing a scarf, but they’re so comfy and nice! I wear comfortable shoes too. I like to wear moccasins a lot; those are great. They’re kind of house-slippery but chic. Oversized sweaters are also really easy but still cute- just throw one on and go!

AH: When they’re feeling lazy or they’re in work mode, you see most people walking around in jeans and sneakers and a sweatshirt or something. What’s a really easy way to transform or update that “study uniform” into something simple, but still somewhat stylish?
SK: Maybe put some skinny jeans on. I mean I love flare, but it doesn’t look so great with sneakers. And just don’t wear your gym sneakers! Please don’t. They’re for the gym. Put on some Keds or Converse or literally anything other than gym sneakers. I have this mental image of someone walking around in their WashU sweatshirt and it’s kind of killing me right now. Put on a button-down if you have to.

AH: What do you think is the most useful accessory?
SK: One thing would be a smile! No one wants to be near a grouch. But I think a scarf could really bring a lot to the table. Infinity scarves are kind of my heartthrob accessories. One of my friends taught herself how to knit and I really want to try and make my own infinity scarf. Another thing that’s so important to me is being “well-dressed.” It just makes a difference for first impressions. You never know who could walk by you that day. Wanting to look your best says a lot about who you are and what you stand for and what you’re doing with yourself and your life and you just don’t want to be slobbin’ and have your potential boss walk by! First impressions stick, and they last a long time. 

AH: That’s true. And it’s not that hard to make yourself look slightly more put together.
SK: Practice makes perfect! Get up five minutes earlier and pick out something cool to wear. I think it’s so true how style is such an expression of who you are. And I know a lot of people don’t like to express themselves through their clothes, but it’s going to happen anyway so you might as well put a little thought and effort into it; it goes a long way.

AH: Yeah, and it really doesn’t take that much extra time, literally the smallest things can make your appearance a lot better. If someone was about to walk out in jeans and a t-shirt, what is one thing you could add that would make you look more put-together?
SK: Definitely accessories or a sweater or anything; there are a lot of ways you could go. Color is also great; colors and patterns. Even just one item that is bright or really pops out can do a lot for the outfit.

AH: So, how would you describe your style?
SK: I feel like I’m all over the map. I’ve thought about this question before and I don’t think I have one straight up style. I mix preppy things with boho-ish pieces and really hopefully things that just make me feel really comfortable. Above all else, no matter how good it looks, it has to be comfortable. Otherwise, it’s just not going to happen!

AH: True, there’s so much more incentive to put on clothes that are comfortable. Where do you like to shop to find clothes that fit your style?
SK: I love shopping at J. Crew, Madewell, Anthropologie, Urban Outfitters, and Zara. I really love the Gap. A lot. They have a lot of unforeseen deals and some pretty snazzy stuff on occasion. Also, there’s a store Artizia that I really like. I love online shopping like ASOS, and Tobi, which is amazing. Also online I like JewelMint, BeautyMint, StyleMint, and ShoeMint.

AH: What does style mean to you?
SK: Style means choosing to be what you’re comfortable in, regardless of what is actually “in.” I know for myself, I’m very influenced by what people are wearing, but I hopefully try and make it my own and mix different stereotypical genres to create my own look.