Style > Beauty

Best Makeup Products For Non-Makeup Wearers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

I am definitely not a makeup person – I wear very minimal makeup on a daily basis, and even when getting dressed up on the weekends I tend to go pretty natural. For anyone else who isn’t so great at doing makeup and just wants the review of the essentials, you’ve come to the right place. 

Neutrogena SkinClearing Blemish Concealer: This coverup is a necessity. It covers up any blemish so easily and comes in thin clear tubes that last for about 2 months. I have a pretty average skin tone (not too fair but not dark) and I wear “Fair” (05) in the winter when I’m paler and “Buff” (09) when I’m tanner in the summer. Any basic beauty blender can be used to rub this in. 

Too-Faced Chocolate Soleil Bronzer: Seriously best bronzer in the game. On a daily basis, I wear the Neutrogena concealer to cover up anything necessary and then put this bronzer on using a bronzer brush. There are three tones available, and I use the lightest one (“Milk Chocolate”). Bonus points because the bronzer actually smells like chocolate. 

Image Vital C Hydrating Repair Crème: I use this moisturizing cream when I remember to put it on before I go to sleep. It smells amazing and as someone who has pretty dry skin, this definitely hydrates it. 

Elf Keep Your Curl Mascara and Expert Liquid Liner: Elf is always a good place to order makeup from because it is super cheap and actually works very well. I have always been a believer of cheap mascara, and this elf mascara certainly proves my theory. Since I like a more natural look, the Keep Your Curl mascara does the job for me. If you’re looking for something a little bolder, you may want to try the Plump it Up Mascara from Elf. The Expert Liquid Liner is exactly what I need – it’s good for liquid top eyeliner. If you’re even worse at makeup than me (which I’m not sure is possible) this may be a little challenging for you… it requires a steady hand. If you can master it, it’s a good look for a weekend night out. 

Literally any of the Urban Decay Cosmetics Naked Palettes: I don’t wear eyeshadow very frequently, but once in a while it’s nice to have a little sparkle. I would recommend any of the neutral naked palettes that also have sparkly options, such as Naked3. Another choice if you don’t want sparkly is to get the Naked2 Palette, which comes with only the most basic colors available (it’s also cheaper since its less colors and smaller than some of the other palettes). 

Mario Badescu Facial Spray with Aloe, Herbs, and Rosewater: I recently got into this spray, and let me tell you it is life changing. It smells great and feels refreshing, and it feels amazing to use when coming back after a long day of classes or before going to bed. 

IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Breakout: I use this stuff when I have a pimple that I want to get rid of. It’s thicker than coverup and I use the medium color which is darker than my skin tone. I put it on before I go to bed and it takes about 10-15 minutes to dry. In the morning when I wake up, I rub it off and it works like magic. 

Neutrogena Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes: These makeup remover wipes are great to use after a night out. They take about 95% of the makeup off (sometimes there is remaining mascara in the morning no matter how hard I try to rub it off). It does make your face a little oily after using so I would recommend using this and then washing your face with water or face soap. I usually get the big package that has 28 large towelettes, but there is also a bag of individually wrapped, smaller towelettes that are perfect for traveling.

WashU freshman, pizza enthusiast, & self-proclaimed baker.
breakfast & poetry enthusiast