Style > Beauty

Beauty Tips From Redhead To Redhead

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.
  1. Blue Toned Red

This is so important! As a lot of redheads may find, cool toned colors are the best, and this does not change for lipstick. There are so many shades and tones of red lipstick, and it is crucial that you don’t settle for a warm/orange red. Speaking for myself, I’ve always wanted to pull off the Emma Stone vibe in La La Land, and the first step is definitely the red lip!

1. Tans….

There is so much social pressure to be tan, and it is only growing in the gross standards of beauty. As a fair skinned redhead, I understand that there is a looming and irrational pressure to not like my fair freckled skin, but I’ve learned to love it. I’ve also learned that there are certain colors that really complement my skin tone. Here’s what I’ve concluded: 

Olive toned redheads: go for yellow, avoid maroon

Red toned redheads: go for turquoise, avoid yellow

Cool toned redheads: go for green, avoid tan/brown

1. Brows

This is going to sound odd but accentuating your eyebrows during your makeup look helps your eyes pop (yes, even if they are brown) and bring your makeup look together. By accentuating, I do not mean overly fill or darken your brows but defining them and finding a shade that matches your hair roots really solidifies your makeup routine. For some redheads, finding this color is difficult because brow makeup is targeted towards brown shades. I suggest looking for a “blonde” based color or checking out Anastasia’s color range; they have more options than most brands! 

1.  The Retro Look

Personally, I have found that more classic and vintage looks have been STUNNING on redheads. I feel like we can pull of the bright colored statement jeans so well. That being said, take a blast to the past and check out some colored jeans, winged eyeliner, and zany sweater patterns. I don’t know the science behind this move, but it really brings out the uniqueness of our beauty. 

I am a first-year in the school of Arts and Science at Washington University in St. Louis. I plan on studying Political Science and PNP (Philosophy-Neuroscience-Psychology) on a prelaw track. I was born and raised in South West Missouri in the Springfield area. I am really interested in art in all aspects. This translates to my passion for music, film, and visual art creation.
breakfast & poetry enthusiast