Avoiding the Freshman 15

Before college, I heard a lot about the freshman 15...and obviously, like many other people, I was not a fan of the concept. So, I devised some strategies to help me maintain my weight through my first year of college, which was probably my most stressful year to date. Here are some tips to help you avoid gaining the Freshman 15.

1. Avoid overloading on carbs for breakfast

This is really hard for me because I hate eggs, which are probably the healthiest breakfast food. (So, if you're part of the normal population, perhaps eat some eggs for breakfast) But, at the beginning of the year I started eating protein bars for breakfast, and I feel totally energized until lunch.

sabrina the teenage witch eating GIF

2. Drink lots of water

Sometimes when you feel hungry, you're really just thirsty. So, instead of grabbing that snack, dry drinking a cup of water first. This will help you stay hydrated and keep you from excess snacking.

Added bonus: Drinking more water helps keep your skin clear

funny water GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

3. Exercise!

Sumers has AMAZING workout classes! They're a lot of fun, and they're an easy way to stay active! Also, if you're not into working out with other people, google some workout plans to help get you started. Also, check out Spotify's workout playlists to get you pumped.

rickey smiley love GIF by TV One

Good luck!

By Elizabeth Baxter

Giphy.com