Amanda Pease 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Amanda Pease is quite the busy girl. You can find her working in studio in the art school, training to become certified as a wilderness project leader, an active sorority member, and working on her own jewelry line. What started out as a hobby and frustration with generic Tiffany & Co trinkets eventually turned into a budding business. I got to take a look at her designs and the pieces she has created, and it’s safe to say that this girl is going places. This summer, she hopes to expand her business while working in New York, hopefully interning with a WashU alum jewelry designer. I have already put in orders for some of her pieces, and believe me, once you see what she creates, you will too. This Campus Celeb is bound to make the pages of Elle and Vogue; watch out for her.

Name: Amanda Pease

Year: Sophomore

Major: Sculpture major and anthropology minor.

Hometown: I am not sure.

You’re not sure? I’ve moved around my whole life, so I never know how to answer that question. Right now I live in New Hampshire, but I was born in Singapore, and moved from China to America on and off.

You’ve spent a lot of time in Asia. Has it impacted you in anyway? Traveling and living in a lot of different places changed my perceptions, especially in art. My parents were very interested in Asia and Asian culture, so the architecture and the art in our house is inspired by Asia, global travels, or by nature. I’m constantly surrounded by it.

So did living and being inspired by Asia influence your craft business? Definitely. I grew up with a lot of Asian and touristy trinkets around my house, but they were all unique and interesting, which I grew to appreciate. I would rather spend my time and money on something that is unique, rather than on something designer. I personally like things that are a little different, which is reflected in my designs.

Is there something wrong with designer pieces? There’s nothing wrong with designer pieces, I just prefer pieces that are unique and memorable. For example, my boyfriend in high school was obviously the best because he bought me a Tiffany’s necklace, and in high school, that’s a really big deal. But now, I don’t like those things. And I feel like that about a lot of jewelry. Either you get really cool, unique looking stuff for thousands of dollars or you get boring stuff. If it’s not boring, but unique and cheap, it’s really bad quality. There’s no in between, so I try to solve that in my jewelry.

What types of pieces do you make? I make globally inspired pieces that are a little different. I would say there’s almost something a little bit wrong or out of the ordinary about them, even if it’s not very overt. I mainly work with gold, beads, and semi-precious stones. I also focus on what is wrong with most jewelry. I’ve noticed that it’s freaking hard to put on bracelets when the clasp is too small or you’re struggling with one hand, so I change out the clasps to pretty, magnetic ones. I do this to my own designs and the pieces I already own.

Can I see some of the things you’ve made? Sure. Some of the pieces I make are from old necklace parts or earrings that don’t have a pair.  I also like interchangeable options, so most of the wrap bracelets I make can be necklaces or double necklaces. I focus on the proportions of these so that no matter what way you wear it, it always looks right. I really like having the pieces be able to change length because the right length can completely alter the look and you get more wear out of it.

You’re very detailed oriented. Well, it’s just more practical. I don’t know why people haven’t done it yet. Why can’t we have cute, comfortable shoes? They are either really ugly and comfortable, or awesome and incredibly painful. As a sculpture major, I can apply what I’ve learned into making shoes, or prints, or jewelry.

Shoes and textile prints? Seems like you have some big plans for the future.  I want to make some things for sorority girls to give to their littles during baby week, but I’m really busy this semester. I want to get more prepared for baby week this summer so I can sell the jewelry and crafts for all the sororities. I also want to focus on really branding and evolving my line this summer and sell it on Etsy.

Does your line have a name? No, it doesn’t have a name because I plan to really start it when I have time this summer in New York. Hopefully I will have an internship and will take some classes.  When I establish the brand, I want it to be called Amanda Rachel Wingard Pease, or maybe Rachel Wingard. Rachel is my middle name and Wingard is my mom’s maiden name.

I can’t wait to wear some of Amanda’s pieces on campus, so if you ever see me wearing an awesomely unique and eye-catching necklace or earrings, chances are, they were designed by WashU’s own Amanda Pease.