This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

The leaves on campus have fallen, it’s nearly Halloween, and I’m guessing you, like me, are finally getting into your college routine. Like me, you  might also be bracing yourself for the brisk St. Louis winters. Here are some old and new acoustic tunes to make your cold October feel a little warmer. 

We’ll Meet Again by Johnny Cash 

If you like “Corduroy Daydreams” by Rex Orange County, the chords in this song may seem familiar to you. Johnny Cash gives the same warm, homey feeling Rex conveys, though with an older, jazzy twist; a smoothe, café-esque clarinet, simple guitar chords similar to “You’ve Got a Friend in Me” by Randy Newman, and Johnny Cash’s old-timey, raspy low voice. If you’re feeling especially nostalgic, I recommend this song.

“We’ll meet again

Don’t know where

Don’t know when

But I know we’ll meet again some sunny day”

Alone Again by Faye Webster

Failed a test? Made an upsetting social mistake? Just not feeling your best overall? This song is a great listen-and-cry for those moments when you just need to let it out. Faye Webster’s light, lulling voice will lead you through the worst of times. Her albums also make for great study music; the acoustic guitars and vibey bass make any study space feel magical.

“Alone again

My mind’s empty as the room I’m sleeping in

I covered my window

Now my plants are dead

So they know how I feel

Alone again”

Gimme Love by Vista Kicks

This upbeat, happy-go-lucky song can bring a smile across your face even while facing the wind and gray skies of St. Louis winters walking across campus. The punching drums and electric guitars, combined with the wavering, high-energy voices of the Vista Kicks are guaranteed to brighten your mood. 

“Love, gimme love, gimme something to believe in

Hug me and squeeze me and give me what I need

Your love is more than enough, so give me your love”

30 MINUTES by Adam Melchor 

Picture this: you’re sitting in your dorm, and for a second your mind transports to spending each summer with your old, hometown friends, and you’re hit with the pang of missing them; this beautiful, simple singer-songwriter piano song addresses this exact mood — and remember to call your friends after!

“I drove 30 minutes just to drive back 30 minutes

Guess it’s just an hour of my life

Wishin’ you were in it while the Earth is busy spinnin’

Even for a second of your time”

High On a Rocky Ledge by Moondog

In the times of both coronavirus and potential college loneliness, it can sometimes be difficult to find someone to give you a hug. However, you’re in luck: this song feels like a warm hug from an old friend. The beautiful, repetitive chords combined with Moondog’s voice that feels like sinking into an old, comfortable chair can soothe even the worst of worries. Whether it’s a slow Sunday morning making coffee in your dorm or watching the leaves change color in Forest Park, I recommend giving this old song a try. 

“How many times I´ve been up to see her, goodness knows

Huffing and puffing, dressed in the warmest climbing clothes”

Highlight of My Life by Dolly Parton

In total honesty, if you want the full experience, I recommend listening to the entire Jolene album from start to finish. However, this song in particular, with its wistful banjo, choir, and Dolly Parton’s honey-coated voice, will brighten your gray fall day. 

“Darling, you’re the highlight of my life

You’re the one that makes it all worthwhile

You’re the one that taught me how to smile

Darling, you’re the highlight of my life”

A.M. AM (cover) by Whitney

As the title suggests, this song is great for some morning motivation before a zoom call. Whitney’s airy, plain voices paired with acoustic guitar, beautifully blended trumpets, and a peppy drum beat create a familiar, warm song that will can make getting up early feel peaceful and beautiful.

“This is where you stop and rewind

This where our dreams all collide

Streaming through your heart that was mine

Living in my world that was yours through your eyes”

Make sure to check these songs out next time you’re layering up for a walk to class!

Grace Brady

Wash U '24

Freshman at WashU interested in Creative Nonfiction Writing and WGSS. In my free time I love music, hammocking, playing frisbee, and baking.
breakfast & poetry enthusiast