9 Things to Do When Your BFF Visits STL

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Nothing is more exciting than getting to show your out-of-towner friend your stomping grounds. St. Louis really is a hidden gem of a city, and there are so many reasons to appreciate it and ways to enjoy it. It has culture, sights, and experiences that you can’t find anywhere else. So, when it’s your turn to play tour guide, here are a few important things for you and your friend to see and do.

1. The Gateway Arch

You really can’t call yourself a St. Louisan if you don’t bring your tourist friend to the Gateway Arch. This 630-foot monument is both a symbol of the city and a great place to take pictures. (Bonus points if you take them up inside of it!)

(planetware.com)

2. The Loop

The Delmar Loop is six blocks of shops, galleries, music, and culture. You name it, the Loop has it.  It’s been called one of the “10 Great Streets in America.” Blueberry Hill is a classic tourist stop here, along with Fitz’s for a famous, gigantic root beer float.

(foodspotting.com)

3. Busch Stadium

A tour of St. Louis is not complete without a stop at Busch Stadium. Put on your best spirit wear and cheer on the Cardinals! (Maybe not if your friend is a diehard Cubs fan…)

(stl250.org)

4. City Museum

Bring out your inner kid at the City Museum—a place that can only be defined as the biggest playground you could ever imagine. The City Museum consists of inside elements, outside elements, caves, enormous slides, tunnels, trap doors and more. It’s ridiculously fun at any age, so you and your friend can definitely spend hours here without getting bored.

(planetware.com)

5.  Forest Park

Located directly across from Wash U’s campus, Forest Park is one of the largest urban park spaces in the country (nearly 500 acres larger than Central Park!).  Attractions in Forest Park, such as the St. Louis Zoo or the art museum, are free! This (plus the fact that there are endless things to do and sights to see) makes Forest Park a great place to spend your day.

(livability.com)

6.  Go to a Concert

St. Louis has a great music scene, and there are a ton of ways for you and your friend to experience it. LouFest is a music festival held each year in Forest Park in September. But don’t worry if you missed it—The Firebird and The Pageant are just two of the many great venues in which you can view great concerts year round.

(crowdalbum.com)

7. Central West End

This area was named one of America’s Top 10 Neighborhoods by the American planning association, and if you’ve ever been there, you can definitely understand why. The Central West End has an amazing variety of restaurants, shops, entertainment, and nightlife. Don’t let your friend leave STL without seeing this great area!

(stlhomestyle.com)

8. Fox Theatre

A performing arts center and hub of all things theatrical, the Fox Theatre should definitely be a stop on your tour. From traveling Broadway shows to guided ghost tours, this place always has something unique and fun going on.

(4fortheroad.com)

9. Go on a Brewery Tour

This one is obviously just for those of you over 21 ;)

Anheuser Busch was founded in STL way back when, and we have both a stadium named after it and a historical brewery to prove it. A beer tour is a great way for you and your friend to learn about (and taste) some fun St. Louis history.

(hypefreshmag.com)

feature photo courtesy of hennesyroach.com
Mari is a freshman in the College of Arts & Sciences at Wash U. She hails from Deerfield, IL, but tells everyone she's from Chicago to make it easier. When she's not writing for HC, you can find her going out with friends, exploring St. Louis, and working in the WUTV studio.
Rachel is a junior in Olin Business School at Washington University in St. Louis. When she's not using her status as a twin as her obvious fun fact, she'll probably tell you that she loves photography, concerts, travel, Buzzfeed, and slaving over clever Instagram captions.