9 Reasons Why Being a Freshman Isn’t So Bad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

It’s 11:00 P.M. on a Friday night and you’re still sitting in your dorm. You pre-gamed, your friends pre-gamed, and everyone is looking for something to do. Is that frat party happening? Should you try to go out? Is it time for BD yet?

It’s 12:00 P.M on Saturday. You’re at BD with your roommate. That was a fun Friday night. LOL. Or not.

Courtesy of giphy.com

So the nightlife for freshmen at Wash U is sometimes lacking…but here are 9 reasons why your freshman experience probably doesn’t suck as much as you think it does: 

1. You’re learning hella lingo from your new friends. Your vocabulary is expanding by the second. (i.e. “That’s the move!”) (i.e. “Did you hu?)

Courtesy of giphy.com

2. You can take advantage of having nothing to do on weekends by hanging out in your dorm and appreciating that they are nicest in the country. This also gives you a chance to meet (and befriend) other freshmen who are just as bored as you are.

Courtesy of giphy.com

3. It’s semi-okay to introduce yourself to someone because you’re 65% sure you follow them on Instagram (…because you may or may not have eagerly followed everyone who posted their Instagram accounts in the Class of 2018 Facebook group). It’s also semi-okay to ask people what their names are if you can’t remember them. 

Courtesy of giphy.com

4. You can ask people the weirdest, dumbest questions and make a lot of life mistakes. Nobody knows you, and nobody cares. Chalk it up to being a freshman! #yolo

Courtesy of giphy.com

5. You finally have the occasional reason to wear heels. House parties were not the place.

Courtesy of giphy.com

6. Schoolwork’s got you down, but at least you’re not taking the MCAT, LSAT, worrying about going to grad school, or trying to find a career.

Courtesy of giphy.com

7. For many, living without your parents is your first real taste of freedom. So guess who can stay up as late as they want? Y.O.U.

Courtesy of giphy.com

8. You can now legitimately begin to plot what you’re going to do in the world and how you’re going to become successful.

Courtesy of giphy.com

9. You’re not in high school anymore.

Courtesy of giphy.com

Now, it’s time to get happy that you’re a freshman at Wash U.

Courtesy of tumblr.com

Article cover photo courtesy of jamesaltucher.com

Lizzie is a sophomore, majoring in Film and Poli Sci at Wash U. She loves sloths, pizza, Tina Fey, and pizza! 
Sydney Davis is a senior at Washington University in St. Louis majoring in Film & Media Studies and minoring in Writing. She loves running, exploring new cities, fashion, boating, and most importantly, Whole Foods.