This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.
  1. Decorate With COVID shifting many classes online, there’s no better time to create a dorm room you love. There are so many options, whether you want to go for a natural theme with fake pumpkins and gourds, or something spookier with LEDs and cobwebs. Even if you don’t want to go all out, just adding a throw pillow or some rustic decor can completely change the look of your room to be more seasonally themed.
  2. Try Fall Snacks! There are so many great seasonal snacks, even if you’re not a fan of pumpkin spice. Try maple popcorn, apples, and caramel, or some fresh cranberries and roasted nuts. If you have a kitchen, you can also make muffins, stews, or stuffed squash! Tea, coffee, and hot chocolate are also easy ways to get into the fall spirit.
  3. Make an Autumn Playlist There’s nothing that sets the mood more than the perfect soundtrack. You can find playlists other people have made, or think of all the memories you have from the fall and put together the songs you associate with those times. Some of my favorites are ‘Sedona’ by Houndmouth, ‘Home’ by Dotan, and of course, Taylor Swift’s ‘All Too Well.’
  4. Switch Up Your Wardrobe Even if it’ll be warm by midday, just putting on a sweater in the morning can add to the fall feeling. You can dress in natural colors like creams, maroons, burnt orange, or dark green, and if you’re going shopping, treat yourself to some thick socks or a scarf. Also, look for patterns like plaid and stripes, and find something fuzzy to bundle up in for when the weather gets cooler.
  5. Find Safe Ways to Participate in Fall Traditions It might be harder to find a pumpkin patch or go apple picking this year, but that doesn’t mean you can’t still enjoy these fall traditions. You can buy a pumpkin and take it back to your dorm to carve, or get some apples from the store and make something sweet with them, like an apple cinnamon mug cake or apple pie oatmeal.
  6. Try Something New Fall is most recognizable by the changing colors of the leaves, and it feels like the world is starting over again. Embrace this attitude by learning something new! Whether it’s an activity you’ve never tried before or a skill you’d like to develop, take some time to invest in yourself and grow.
  7. Watch Holiday Movies It might sound counterproductive, but sometimes, immersing yourself in all things winter can add to the autumn mood. Watching holiday movies can bring you back to the mindset you were in when you watched them in the past, and it might help you appreciate the beauty of fall before it’s gone.
  8. Take It All In It’s easy to rush through your day when you’ve got so many classes and activities both in-person and remote. If you feel like you’re missing the fall spirit, try to not use your phone on your way to class and just look around (or if all your classes are remote, do some of them outside!). The more intentional you are, the more you’ll notice the animals preparing for winter, the colorful leaves on the ground, and even just the sweet, homey smell of fall in the air.
Hi! I'm a junior from Madison, WI, studying biology and writing. I'm on the pre-dental track and love to write about lifestyle, wellness, and music (huge Taylor Swift fan!).
We are WashU's Her Campus site designed for collegiettes here on campus.