This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

St. Louis weather is full of eccentricities, so it comes as no surprise that the temperature could dramatically drop while we’re still not over short shorts and Wayfarers. Is that a problem? Absolutely not, because let’s face it: fall fashion is the best. How can you not get absurdly excited about oversized sweaters, motorcycle jackets and ankle boots? So, after months of sweat, heat and sleepless summer nights, it’s nice to just wrap yourself in layers and knits and enjoy the falling leaves with these must-have trends.

1. The White Coat: Go toward the light. A timeless and ladylike look for fall and winter, the mid-length white coat is the epitome of cold weather chic. This season, white coats come in a range of figure-flattering shapes and silhouettes, from trench coats to double-breasted pea coats.

Hillcountrygalleria.com

2. The Cropped Sweater: Surprisingly versatile and flattering, the cropped sweater will add a dose of sophistication to your fall wardrobe. The bare midriff trend hardly seems winter-friendly, but all it takes is a silky button-up to create the effortless off-duty prep look. The combination of the top’s long sleeves and a structured high-waist skirt or skinny jeans would not only ensure a chic look, but also one fit for cooler temperatures. 

Forever 21 Classic Cropped Sweater, $15

3. Two-Tone Pumps: Two are always better than one. Case in point: the two-tone pump in bold black-and-white. With a sleek shape and a graphic black and white color palette, these sandals have hit two of FW14’s hottest trends. 

Newsofannarbor.blogspot.com

4. The Fluted Dress/Skirt: It’s a new silhouette for fall with an uber feminine shape that has the ability to kick your girlish figure up a notch. This piece can be dressed down with an oversized sweater or equally dressed up with the right pair of killer heels. Sounds like a good deal, right? We think so. Check out some stylish finds and see what we mean. 

Forever 21 Floral Lace Fluted Skirt, $10

ASOS Closet Colourblock Dress with Fluted Hem, $26.66

5. The Turtleneck & Hair-tuck: Turtlenecks and the irresistibly easy-to-wear hair tuck go together like peanut butter and jelly. Today’s gloomy weather calls for both: this simple look also offers an extra level of warmth when braving the way to class. 

Olivia Palermo- Lifeavecstyle.wordpress.com

6. The Printed Scarf: Whether you choose a floral print for sugary sweet vibes, or give your outfit an edge with animal print or tribal patterns,  a printed scarf is sure to function as your windy-day BFF. Fit for everything from casual weekend wear to office-ready attire, print scarves are one accessory that will make you feel instantly put together.

Yarnz Geo Tribal Scarf, Polyvore.com

7. Over-the-Knee Boots: Move over, motorcycle boots. Warm and chic— two qualities we look for in fall footwear— come together with the perfect pair of knee-high boots. These sexy thigh-highs are also a great complement to the new crop of skirts, leaving just a swath of visible skin.

Nine West Noriko Over-the-Knee Boots, Polyvore.com

Miranda Kerr- Handbag.com

Lace Nguyen is in her third year studying Comparative Literature at Washington University in St. Louis. While not entertaining college women with her wit and charm, she reads German novels and apologizes for how pretentious that sounds.
Sydney Davis is a senior at Washington University in St. Louis majoring in Film & Media Studies and minoring in Writing. She loves running, exploring new cities, fashion, boating, and most importantly, Whole Foods.