7 Cheap and Delicious STL Eats

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

As college girls, we’re all on a budget. From paying for taxis to buying friends’ birthday presents to purchasing weekly groceries, it often feels nearly impossible to sit down to a great meal. Luckily, Her Campus WashU is giving you this mouth-watering list of seven places that are great for an affordable and Food-Network-worthy meal.

1.Momo’s Greek Tavern (North and South Rd.) Let me just say I got an entrée of four plump scallops along with vegetables for only $12 … TWELVE DOLLARS. Typically, a main course of scallops is no less than 20 or 30 bucks. Not only that, but hearty sides like a basket of fries or a plate full of warm pita are only $2. Momo’s has amazing Greek tapas along with tasty entrees with a fun atmosphere and low prices. AND there’s a belly dancer. What else could you possibly ask for?

2.Manhattan Express (Wydown Blvd.) This restaurant is located on Wydown right next to Starbucks and across the street from Chill. But you’ve probably never noticed it. If you’re into classic Italian food and good, fast service, this is the perfect place for you. They have great sandwiches, salads and pizzas for very reasonable prices. All hearty sandwiches and fresh salads are under $9, and let me just say the portions are nowhere near skimpy. This place is quick, cheap, and a hidden gem.    

3.Barcelona (N. Central Rd.) Okay, I know everyone reading this is probably saying duh, but I couldn’t write this list without including Barcelona. Simply put, these Spanish tapas are unique, incredibly tasty and the majority of the dishes are under $10. Order a few and share them, and you’ll be full in less than $15 (appetites may vary).

4.Five Star Burgers (Maryland Ave.) This place is fun, casual, and serves huge burgers for under $10. I know $10 may not seem that inexpensive, but it is a great deal for quality burgers with creative toppings. Five Star Burgers also offers several kinds of meat, including patties made of turkey, lamb, or a portabella mushroom stack. So many options!

5.Bar Louie- Tuesday Nights (Central West End) Although prices are pretty good throughout the week, this is THE place to go on Tuesday nights. All burgers are (get ready for this)… ONE DOLLAR. I’m talking about turkey burgers, veggie burgers, beef burgers, whatever type of burger you want… $1. Some add-ons are going to cost you, but in the end, your check will be so low you’ll probably fist-pump on your way out. 

6.Pickleman’s (North Central Rd.) This place has an array of sandwiches, soups and salads all for reasonable prices. You can customize your food to your liking. Given it is a chain, you certainly get the bang for your buck, and the subs are much better than any other sandwich chain I have ever been to. It’s located just a few doors down from the Starbucks on North Central Rd., making it perfect for a quick lunch during a study break!

7.Crazy Bowls and Wraps (Forsyth Blvd.) CBW has lots of healthy and tasty options that are perfect for when you’re craving just about any type of food. You can get a Mediterranean wrap, an Asian-style bowl with chicken, veggies, and rice, or a taco salad. And these are just a few of your options. Almost all menu items are under $8, and you get hearty portions along with access to the condiments bar, which has fresh salsa, hummus, and other toppings. This place is also perfect if you’re craving a good smoothie and don’t want to travel far. 

Sydney Davis is a senior at Washington University in St. Louis majoring in Film & Media Studies and minoring in Writing. She loves running, exploring new cities, fashion, boating, and most importantly, Whole Foods.