emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Great Gifts for Any Occasion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Year after year, birthday after birthday, I often find myself getting my friends the same gifts; A cute pair of studs, festive cupcakes, or little trinkets seem to dominate the gift-giving field. Recently, I have decided to break the trend by exploring my options. Here is a list of great places to find unique, creative, and fun gifts that are refreshingly different from the norm.

1.Momofuku Milk Bar (Cake Truffles & Karlie’s Kookies)- This bakery is based in New York City, but you can order most of the delicacies online. The cake truffles, particularly the “b’day truffles,” are both adorable and fitting for a friend’s special day. They literally taste like little balls of cookie dough… Amazing. If your friend is a little more health-conscious, try sending her Karlie’s Kookies, delicious and nutritious cookies created by model Karlie Kloss. They come in two flavors: “Perfect 10” is similar to a chocolate chip cookie and “5Boro,” which tastes just like a dark chocolate brownie. With the purchase of the “kookie” tins, proceeds are donated to different charities to provide meals for people in need. So… delicious cookies, a cute gift, and you’re donating to charity. What could be better? SIDENOTE: Pop these cookies in the microwave and you’re in heaven. Visit http://milkbarstore.com.

2.Kate Spade store (Plaza Frontenac)- I recently discovered the Kate Spade store in the Plaza Frontenac just twenty or so minutes from campus and it’s gift heaven. While there are obviously expensive items in the store, there are also many reasonably priced options, such as simple everyday rings for around $40. They also have a variety of bright phone cases, fun key chains, and other accessories that make for great gifts. The pricier items are perfect if you plan to split a gift with a mutual friend.

3.Splash boutique (Ladue Road)- If you’re looking for accessories, Splash has a wide selection of jewelry at reasonable prices. They also have great clothes and bathing suits, so you can multi-task and do a little shopping for yourself while you’re there!

4.Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory- If your b-day princess likes chocolate and/or sweets, you need to hit this place up. You can order confections through the website, given there are no Missouri locations nearby (unless you want to take a casual trip to Kansas City). They are most famous for their caramel and chocolate-covered apples, which come in an endless number of varieties from cheesecake to rocky road. They’re perfect to split between a few hungry friends. Visit http://rockymountainchocolatefactory.com.

5.Piccione Pastry (Delmar Loop)- This bakery is a hidden treasure right on the loop. Not only are their pastries delicious, but they also have gluten free options! With just a 10-minute walk from campus, you have a freshly baked cannoli (or GF cannoli) in your hands.

6.Ivy Hill (Central West End)- This charming boutique has beautiful jewelry, accessories, and clothing that you won’t find at just any other store. It’s not cheap, so it’s a great place to go if you’re splitting the price between two or more people. However, there are definitely reasonably priced items scattered about. 

Sydney Davis is a senior at Washington University in St. Louis majoring in Film & Media Studies and minoring in Writing. She loves running, exploring new cities, fashion, boating, and most importantly, Whole Foods.