This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

With Kamala Harris as the first Black and Asian American Vice President-Elect, I have taken some time to reflect on women like her who have been revolutionaries. Here are 5 strong women who have served as amazing role models for me and many others:

• Sojourner Truth

1797 – 1883

Having escaped from slavery, Sojourner Truth was an abolitionist and advocate for women’s rights, working for equal rights for all women and African Americans. She gave many speeches as part of her activist work, and her most notable one is “Ain’t I a Woman?” at the Ohio Women’s Rights Convention. This speech continues to move and inspire people fighting for gender and racial equality.

• Marie Curie

1867 – 1934

Marie Curie is a Polish physicist who became the first woman to win the Nobel Prize and the first person to win the Nobel Prize twice for her groundbreaking work in chemistry and physics. She coined the term “radioactivity” and discovered two elements: polonium and radium, serving as an inspiration to many female scientists.

a laboratory worker takes a swab test
Photo by Mufid Majnun from Unsplash

• Frida Kahlo

1907 – 1954

Frida Kahlo is a Mexican artist known for her fascinating self-portraits and surrealistic work. She overcame many traumas in her lifetime, including suffering through polio as a child and nearly dying in a car accident as a teenager. Her strength from these experiences is wonderfully reflected in her paintings. As a bisexual woman of color, she served as an icon for many monumental movements, including the Chicanos, feminist, and LGBTQ+ movements.

Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera
Photo by Gabriella Clare Marino from Unsplash

• Malala Yousafzai

1997 –

Having won the Nobel Peace Prize at age 17, Malala Yousafzai continues to inspire many for her work in advocating for women’s access to education. Malala grew up in a region controlled by the Pakistani Taliban, which lead her to start her human rights activism journey at the age of 11. With her work garnering more popularity, Malala at age 15 was shot by a member of the Taliban and faced critical injury. She has since recovered and has become one of the most influential women’s rights advocates.

• Michelle Obama

1964 –

Lawyer and writer Michelle Obama was the first African American First Lady, which is when she launched her Let’s Move! campaign and became an icon for her unique style. Growing up on the South Side of Chicago in a middle-class family, Obama’s determination and work ethic can be seen throughout her education and career in public service. This has allowed her to connect with so many Americans who may also face racist and sexist oppressions but still work to beat all odds against them.

Taken by Author

I'm a student at WashU majoring in Biology and minoring in Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. I love to travel, paint, and listen to podcasts!