5 Ways to Get Into The Fall Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

It is finally October and the time of year again for sweaters, scarves, and everything pumpkin flavored. Although the ongoing pandemic may prevent us from some traditional fall festivities, such as attending football games or visiting haunted houses, there are still ways to stay festive and safe this season.

1. Binge Halloween Movies 

One of the safest activities you can do this fall is make some hot apple cider, grab some blankets, and have a halloween movie marathon. If you’re looking for some movies, Freeform does “31 Nights of Halloween” every year, playing nonstop Halloween movies every night up to the end of the month. Some of my favorites are: Ghostbusters, Hocus Pocus, and Halloweentown.

1. Decorate your Space

Every October I love going to Bath and Body Works and buying several fall scented candles. Decorating your desk with mini pumpkins, fake leaves, and candles is a great way to immerse yourself in the fall season without ever leaving your home. 

1. Go to a Pumpkin Patch

Going to a pumpkin patch is another great way to enjoy the season while still being socially distant. Pumpkin patches often have apple picking, corn mazes, and apple cider donuts that are bound to provide a very exciting and festive day. While you’re there, make sure to pick out a few pumpkins to take home with you.

1. Carve a Pumpkin 

Carving pumpkins can provide hours of fun. Buy a little pumpkin carving kit from your local supermarket and get to work. After you’re done, not only will you have spooky jack-o-lanterns, but you will have loads of extra seeds and pumpkin to bake. I personally love baking my pumpkin seeds with salt and making pumpkin bread out of the leftover pumpkin insides.

1. Read a Good Book

Another easy way to enjoy the fall atmosphere is by reading a good book. Grab some coffee, set aside some time to take a break from work, and sit by the fire and read a good book. Reading is often therapeutic and is a great way to relax and enjoy the season.

Hopefully this list has encouraged you to make the most of the fall season. The pandemic doesn’t mean that it’s impossible to enjoy this time of year.  Enjoy autumn while it’s here because before you know it it’ll be time to replace the pumpkin spice lattes with peppermint mochas.

Hi, my name's Mia Anastasio and I'm a sophomore studying Computer Science at WashU. If you can't find me, I'm probably at the library or the movie theater.
breakfast & poetry enthusiast