5 Ways to Get that Fall Feeling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

November is an unusual month for the spirited types: we’ve already passed one of the major fall holidays (until next year, Halloween) but there’s a significant amount of time until the next round of festivities (especially this year…. since when does Thanksgiving break include Chanukah?)  So what does one do to keep in that warm and fuzzy fall spirit in between all the major celebrations? Read on, Collegiettes!

Find fall food

It’s pretty clear that when it comes to seasonal food, we’re falling into line to grab our favorite fall flavors (Be prepared: there are plenty of fall puns I’ll leaf you with by the end of this article). Crisp apples and cider, anyone? Fresh maple syrup or cinnamon sweets? Hot cocoa, tea or coffee? And of course, no one can forget the perennial favorite, pumpkin ANYTHING. Fall-flavored snacks are abundant all around the St. Louis area. Check out Eckert’s for the chance to hand pick apples, click on over to HerCampus’ own guide on the best pumpkin goodies around Wash U, or do your own exploring for even more fall-flavored possibilities!

Change up that closet!

St. Louis—and the Midwest in general—is notorious for its bipolar weather. But generally speaking, the level on the thermometer seems to be fall-ing down. That means it’s time to say, “see ya!” to the summery floral skirts and flip-flops. Start pulling out your warmest—and most stylish—fall fashions: snuggly sweaters, wool socks, boots galore, and any—and every—jacket you own. There’s no better way to get an autumn-atic fall feeling than by dressing the part! Looking to update your wardrobe? HerCampus has got you covered again! Check out the sweater guide, or head on over to Pinterest for another source of inspiration!

Take advantage of the weather…

As previously mentioned, the weather in St. Louis in the fall changes faster than the number of pre-med freshmen. But that doesn’t mean you should fall-ter and retreat to your winter hibernation so quickly. Take advantage of the nice days before they cease to exist! Take a stroll around Forest Park. Play in the leaves. Exercise outside. Take an artsy fall-themed Instagram picture. Walk to class (and free up the Circ for the poor architecture and engineering students). Before the leaves fall off the trees, create some memories that include them!

But have a backup when it sucks

Let’s be real, though, not all of our November days are going to be as beautiful as the pictures on the promotional brochures. So what to do when it’s pouring rain and it’s dropping below 40˚ outside your dorm? Lucky for you, no longer do you not have to feel guilty about staying in and watching movies or baking goodies because “it’s so beautiful outside!” Well, it’s not. November is the perfect time to start making the most of awful weather. While fall-themed movies may not be the most prominent, there’s a great list of movies to catch up on as you snuggle up and watch the rain roll down your window.

Do the stereotypical fall activities

Every season has its stereotypes. And fall is no exception. So go ahead, there’s a full month to accomplish as many items on an autumn-themed to-do list as possible! You can go to a football game, play in the leaves, get artsy and collect pinecones and leaves, take in the fall sights and scents, and more. So welcome, November! The month is long but the days are getting short—take advantage while you can!

Gabi Stone is a sophomore at Washington University in St. Louis, a short 9-hour drive away from her hometown of Detroit, Michigan. She enjoys solo grocery shops at Whole Foods, Saturday Night Live reruns, and checking things off of lists.