Wellness

5 Things to do in STL to Break Up the Monotony of Your Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you sometimes get bored of the same old weekend Covid-college weekend routine. Dress up real nice just to go to a friend’s dorm or some sleazy-ish place a ten-minute Uber away. Here is a list of things in St Louis I have found to be enormously fun and at least mostly safe this semester to try out next weekend.

1. St Louis Aquarium at Union Station

This place costs a shiny penny at $25 for a general admissions ticket. However, I would say it was worth the price for a fun trip out with friends. This is the closest place to Disney World you are going to get in Missouri (maybe anywhere outside of Florida and California). The whole place has a very magical, touristy vibe unlike any other aquarium I have ever been to, and I absolutely adored it. From sharks to archerfish to otters to those fish that eat the skin off your hands, this place is a small treasure I didn’t expect St Louis to find. Plus, all around the aquarium are these tourist-trappy but cute restaurants in neon lights that even if you aren’t eating make for an awesome atmosphere if you go at night. Total Euphoria carnival vibes.

2. Saint Louis Science Center in Forest Park

This is an amazing daytime excursion. If you are up for a bit of a hike, you can even walk it from campus which is what my friends and I did (although it took about an hour). Or, if you are looking for even more of an adventure, find an electric scooter on the edge of Forest Park and make the journey to and from the museum via scoot.

The Science Museum has a lot of fun activities that bring out your inner kid. If you go, and you want to do all the activities, I would recommend bringing hand sanitizer though if you are worried about Covid or germs in general since there is a lot of touching, but even so, it is still loads of fun. And it is free for general admission, although once inside, there are additional exhibits and even a VR ride you can pay to partake in.

3. Rent out a Theater the AMC on Clayton for You and Your Friends

If you have ever made a Schucks run from campus, you have probably passed the AMC on your way. While I have not done this yet, a friend of mine and a large group of her friends got together one night and rented out a theater at the AMC on Clayton Road for a fun Covid-safe pod activity. This experience can also come at a hefty price tag as well, AMC lists its private screenings at $99+tax for “available fan faves” and $149+tax or more for new releases. However, the theater can hold up to 20 guests, which can round the price down significantly, if you have that many friends and particularly that many friends who can decide to watch one movie. One thing that’s nice, it is totally within walking distance, and if you choose not to walk, WashU transportation stops right around the AMC.

4. Saint Louis Zoo in Forest Park

I think at this point, most people know about this attraction in Forest Park. This is a pretty easy walk from campus, further than the AMC from campus but closer than the Science Center. It is also free, although, like all of these prior mentioned events, reservations are required.

5. Check out the Restaurants and Shops on Cherokee Street

This suggestion might sound vague, but this was such a blast and one of my favorite memories from last semester. Cherokee Street is about a fifteen-minute car ride from campus, but once there you can walk around for a good couple of hours checking out all the storefronts that range from adorable thrift stores, a typewriting museum, a graphic artist’s studio who makes the most insane designs such as a tee-shirt I bought featuring a possum riding a motorcycle, a cat rescue place, and a bunch of adorable cafes and restaurants. They also often hold events if you keep up to date on their website or Instagram.

Sammi Fremont is a freshman at WashU intending to major in environmental analysis and comparative literature.
We are WashU's Her Campus site designed for collegiettes here on campus.