5 Summer Snacks for the Perfect Beach Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Throughout hours at Olin trying to avoid studying at all costs, lying out on a sandy beach with the sun beaming on your face was a daydream to hold onto. Now that the hell we call finals week has finally ended and we’ve packed up our rooms, this dream can finally turn into a reality. Even better than basking in the sun on the beach is basking on the beach with a snack in hand. Here are some of the best beach snacks for this summer.

1) Watermelon Whether it’s sliced, cubed, or dipped in chocolate, watermelon is the ultimate beach snack. Not only is it tasty, but it’ll leave you feeling hydrated without feeling bloated. Buy one at the supermarket, chop it up, and bring it for a finger food you can share with everyone.

2) Cape Cod Salt N’ Vinegar ChipsThis is a classic beach snack. I mean, it even has the name of a beach as its brand name. When in the mood for something a little tangy and salty, these chips do the trick, especially when paired with a variety of dips. Beware- you will be tempted to lick your fingers.

3) Trail MixWhat’s better than a sweet and salty snack that can satisfy all your cravings at once? Experiment and try some of the different varieties at Trader Joes each time you go, looking for what gives you the best combination of sweet and salty. You can even create your own trail mix at home with a combination of nuts, dried fruit, and cereal. Just try to stay away from people like me who will pick out all of the M&Ms within seconds of opening the bag.

4) Ice CreamGranted, this one’s a little tougher to bring with you. However, most beaches have ice cream trucks galore, and when you get sick of your “chill” summer playlist and need to stretch your legs, walking to a truck for a Choco Taco will be a refreshing cure to boredom.

5) BarbecueYes, we all go the beach in hopes of being lazy and not having to do anything, but grilling some hot dogs and hamburgers with friends is a fun and cheap dinner that will end your beach day with a bang. Just remember to bring some veggie burgers so your vegetarian friend isn’t left in the dust.

Chloe is a sophomore in the Olin Business School at Washington University in St. Louis. She hails from Westport, Connecticut where she was Managing Editor of her high school's newspaper. She is an avid fan of ice cream, Sex and the City marathons, and napping.
Sydney Davis is a senior at Washington University in St. Louis majoring in Film & Media Studies and minoring in Writing. She loves running, exploring new cities, fashion, boating, and most importantly, Whole Foods.