The 5 Stages of Feeling Sick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Even if you got your flu shot this year, don’t be surprised if you’re feeling a little bit under the weather. This year’s flu shot doesn’t cover the most common strains of the flu going around, so flu season at Wash U is going to be particularly bad in the upcoming months. Trust me, I’ve been taking an informal survey and I’m not sure if this campus has a bad case of the flu or the black plague. So, how does one deal with the (unfortunately) almost inevitable winter cold/flu/generally sick feeling that might be coming your way?

1. Denial: “I might feel something coming on but it’s nothing that bad, I swear!” (you promise yourself this as you chug your third Emergen-C of the day).

Sharegif.com

2. Anger: Surprise, surprise. That “small cold” is a lot bigger than you thought it would be. And you’re mad… at your body for failing you, your professor for mandatory attendance, and your roommate for giving you this illness in the first place.

Quickmeme.com

3. Bargaining: “Please, oh sick gods, let me get better so I can go out this weekend and have time to study and do all of the million other things I have to do! I’ll give up anything: my cute TA, my gift card to Pastaria, you name it, just so that I can feel better.”

Pinterest.com

4. Depression: “Oh no, I’m never going to get better. I have mono or some other incurable disease and I’m gonna spend my entire life coughing and sad.” A dark cloud of illness is looming over your semester.

Tumblr.com

5. Acceptance: “Ugh, okay there’s no getting around it. I feel like crap and it’s going to be like that for a few days. Now who wants to get me chicken noodle soup and medicine and watch Netflix?”

Giphy.com

Gabi Stone is a sophomore at Washington University in St. Louis, a short 9-hour drive away from her hometown of Detroit, Michigan. She enjoys solo grocery shops at Whole Foods, Saturday Night Live reruns, and checking things off of lists.
Sydney Davis is a senior at Washington University in St. Louis majoring in Film & Media Studies and minoring in Writing. She loves running, exploring new cities, fashion, boating, and most importantly, Whole Foods.