5 Books to Read Over Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Finding the motivation to read for fun can be pretty tough in between assignments and exams. As students, curling up to watch some Netflix is often the most tempting form of post-studying (or procrastinating) entertainment. Whether you’ll be spending next week’s break at home on the couch or on the beach with your toes in the sand (lucky you!), the best part about spring break is the relaxation that comes with it. Try reading for pleasure while you actually have the time to spare with one of these highly enjoyable books. 

“Big Little Lies” by Liane Moriarty: This page-turner is centered around the lives of some pretty intense kindergarten mothers in Australia, whose pristine world is turned upside down by a murder mystery. You don’t know the exact crime, or even who is murdered, until the very end, but the characters are intriguing and the pace is quick. As an added bonus, Reese Witherspoon and Nicole Kidman are set to star in a limited TV series based on the book!

Goodreads.com

“Brain on Fire” by Susannah Cahalan: While this true story is utterly terrifying, it’s also a thrilling and eye opening must-read. Susannah Cahalan – a Wash U. grad! – is an ordinary, successful journalist who randomly begins to spiral out of control. After experiencing huge mood swings, truly strange behavior and seizures, doctors are at an absolute loss to explain what is wrong with Cahalan. Read it to find out the whole story (you won’t regret it).

Goodreads.com

“Let’s Explore Diabetes with Owls” by David Sedaris: Sedaris is a master of American humor writing, and this recent book is just the latest in his large collection of novels. Sedaris writes sharp, witty short stories that will literally have you laughing out loud from start to finish. You also can’t go wrong with other Sedaris collections, “Me Talk Pretty One Day” or “When You Are Engulfed in Flames.”

Goodreads.com

“Not That Kind of Girl” by Lena Dunham: Any loyal fan of Girls should definitely check out Dunham’s novel, which is a collection of personal essays that any 20-something woman can appreciate and benefit from. As with her show, Dunham is brutally honest and forthcoming about her experiences, from losing her virginity to childhood therapy. Of course, Dunham’s eccentric humor is all there.

Goodreads.com

“Wild” by Cheryl Strayed: Even if you’ve already seen the recent film adaptation, paying the original novel Wild its own respect is completely worthwhile. Strayed writes about her past experience in a hopeless place after losing her mother and her journey to salvation through a solo hike on the Pacific Crest Trail. The tough hike is interlaced with anecdotes from the various moments that led her to this place. 

Prettysmartvaservices.com

Sydney Davis is a senior at Washington University in St. Louis majoring in Film & Media Studies and minoring in Writing. She loves running, exploring new cities, fashion, boating, and most importantly, Whole Foods.