5 Apps to Help You Destress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Though none of us will really be rid of stress until finals season has passed, it’s important to take a deep breath and remind ourselves to stay sane in the midst of exams. So, here are some of the best apps when it comes to de-stress, sleep, meditation, and all things relaxation:

1. Headspace: This app is marketed to decrease stress and increase concentration with a series of meditation exercises. If you want to unlock the whole app it will cost you, but getting the free version will allow you some 10 minute meditations which will help you relax the night before your biggest exam.

2. Sleep Cycle: It pretty much does what you think–monitors your sleep cycle using a microphone and wakes you up when you’re in your “lightest sleep” mode. All you have to do is sleep with your phone next to you so it can pick up on your cycle, and the app will do the rest. And it’s free!! (or at least the basic version is).

3. Breathe2relax: This app has videos which teach you how to improve your diaphragmatic breathing, which is the first step to de stressing. If meditation or other stress-reducing practices seem too complicated for you, this is definitely the best app for you.

4. Stigma: A daily journal that lets you vent using 200 characters or less. Basically twitter for stressed out people. It’s great for people who love to write (and people who love to complain).

5. Buddhify: This app asks you what you’re doing and/or what your current state of mind is, and then comes up with a meditation to match. It’s basically acts as your meditation *~spirit guide~* #namaste

Lizzie is a sophomore, majoring in Film and Poli Sci at Wash U. She loves sloths, pizza, Tina Fey, and pizza!