4 Ways to Tackle Schoolwork Before Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Thanksgiving break rolls around and you think to yourself, “Oh, that paper due Monday and my three exams Wednesday? I’ll just take care of that when I’m home!” Yet, the second you step off the plane (or out of the car for you lucky kids), you’re suddenly bombarded with family dinners, parties with your home friends, going to as many of your favorite restaurants as humanly possible, and finally, napping a little in between. Realistically, it’s very difficult to be productive with schoolwork while you’re home over break, so it’s essential that you get organized now so you can enjoy your mom’s homemade apple pie while lounging by the fire and binge-watching Keeping Up With The Kardashians without a care in the world. 

1. Utilize a planner: Alright, so an actual, physical planner might be outdated, but the calendar app on iPhones and Macs is a girl’s best friend. Spend 30 minutes adding in everything you have due in the next few weeks and allocate time within your day to work on them. It’s a lot harder to say “screw it, I’m taking a nap” when a calendar event is staring you in the eyes.

Creativefeed.net

2. Make study guides: You might be thinking “is this girl in the 7th grade?” However, study guides are an absolute life saver. If you read the content for your exam now and synthesize it into a study guide, you can easily review it on your computer and all you’ll have to do over break is go over it a few times to study. Make sure you start with the big ideas and add in smaller details as you go.

Giphy.com

3. Get your busy work done now: We all have that class where we have to do meaningless homework that might be collected. Do your silly work now to get it out of the way. Bonus: if it’s truly inane homework, watch reruns of Sex and the City while doing it to help pass the time.

Giphy.com 

4. Dream of home: …and sleeping late, and going to brunch, and not getting out of your pajamas all day. That in itself will mentally force you to hit the books.

risaellen.tumblr.com

Article cover photo via quickmeme.com

Chloe is a sophomore in the Olin Business School at Washington University in St. Louis. She hails from Westport, Connecticut where she was Managing Editor of her high school's newspaper. She is an avid fan of ice cream, Sex and the City marathons, and napping.
Sydney Davis is a senior at Washington University in St. Louis majoring in Film & Media Studies and minoring in Writing. She loves running, exploring new cities, fashion, boating, and most importantly, Whole Foods.