This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

We all have found this semester to be more challenging than we ever thought it would be. As we round the corner on week 7, here are some tips to beat procrastination:

1. Clear your Desk Space

A clear space is a clear mind. Make sure you have ample space to complete your work. Getting started is already easier.

2. Make a To-Do List

Categorize by what must be done versus what only should be done.

Feeling overwhelmed? It helps to remind yourself what is critically important to get done, such as submitting an essay or completing a quiz, versus what could be done but won’t cause any immediate consequences if it doesn’t get done right now, like watching a lecture or getting ahead on readings. Start with what must be done.

3. Break It into Small Chunks

Yes, I mean really small. Another trick to beat the overwhelming feeling of starting is with baby steps. Simply open up that essay document you’ve been avoiding and praise yourself for a job well done. Next, you just have to write the title, no biggie. Then, write the first sentence. Be proud of the little accomplishments you make. Each step you take on the assignment is closer to the end goal. Breaking it into chunks makes it more manageable.

Hi! I'm Carly :) I'm a sophomore at Washington University in St. Louis studying marketing and finance. When I'm not in class, you can find me dancing, watching Netflix, baking, and spending time with friends and family.
We are WashU's Her Campus site designed for collegiettes here on campus.