Style

15 Board Ideas For Your Pinterest

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Looking for more Pinterest board ideas? Or maybe you have never used Pinterest before, and are wondering why some people find it so useful? Here are my top Pinterest board uses and ideas.

1. Travel Board

While we may be limited in travel experiences right now, one great way to feel some sort of escape is creating a travel board. Not only is it a great way of thinking up travel plans, it also can allow you to romanticize your own hometown more, and possibly find new locations nearby to check out!

1. Journaling prompts

If you have been meaning to try journaling out, or maybe you feel that your current journaling routine is getting dull, creating a journaling prompts board on Pinterest could be great for inspiration! Not only will it give you a broader range of ideas, but also a great space to organize those ideas and pull prompts from whenever you need.

1. Affirmations

Starting off your day with affirmations can be a great way to start your day in a positive light. Pinterest has tons of great affirmation ideas. Finding affirmations that stick with you and creating a board can give you the motivation you need to start using those affirmations, and start a good routine for yourself. 

1. Creating a vision board

Vision boards, including people doing activities you want to do more often, inspirational quotes, foods you want to try, and more can be a great way of sorting out resolutions in a less word-heavy way. Looking at these photos and then doing activities from the board you create yourself can also make you feel better about the activities as you do them, since you know that they were on your board. I find it helpful to even put photos of people studying at coffee shops sometimes, as it makes me feel more inclined to want to do work, and to feel good about it.

1. Dorm recipes

Dining Hall food can get old sometimes, but so can the food that you are used to consuming in your dorm. Finding new ideas can make meals more fun, and there are so many simple dorm-friendly ideas all over Pinterest. 

1. Finding Your Style

One great way to figure out your style is to save every outfit you like on Pinterest to a board. After adding a substantial amount of outfits to the board, you can look for patterns throughout your saved items. For example, if there is a specific type of fabric you keep saving, or a basic clothing item that is included in a lot of outfits, it can give you ideas about clothing items to look out for next time you’re shopping. 

Another great use of Pinterest for clothing is looking up items that you already have, like a brown coat, in the search bar. If you look up  “____ item outfit,” Pinterest will give you more ideas than you need as to how you can use that item. This way, you can get a more versatile use out of the items in your closet already. 

1. Interesting DIY project ideas

Bored in your dorm? Looking for something new to do? There are an infinite number of easy step-by-step projects on Pinterest to try out. Some of these projects are great for making your dorm look more put together, creating efficient shortcuts in your life, or just trying a new hobby or idea. In the past I’ve found embroidery projects, clothing item “hacks,” tie-dye ideas, and more.

1. Photo Inspiration

Personally, I never know exactly how to take a great photo. However, there are so many great editorial-style and more casual photoshoot ideas on Pinterest. Next time you want to take photos with your friends but don’t know what to do, pulling inspiration from your own personal board of ideas you like could be the perfect fix. 

1. Haircut ideas

Not sure what haircut you want next? Saving haircuts that you like and showing them at your next appointment can be a great way of guaranteeing that you and your stylist are on the same page. I have done this for the past two or three years, and for the most part, I have been very happy with the results. Hair stylists love the specificity as well!

1. Hair tutorials

Sometimes, keeping your hair the same way can get boring. Finding new hairstyles on Pinterest is a great way to experiment, and there are some great ideas out there! There are so many step-by-step videos and photo collages to choose from.

1. Making/organizing posters 

One way to avoid spending a lot of money on posters is to find photos you like on Pinterest. Creating a board for these posters also gives you a better idea of how the posters look side-by-side, which can help you decide on the style or vibe that you want your room to have. It’s easy to either print these posters yourself, or get them printed at the nearest Walgreens for a better price than ordering posters from a website.

1. Tattoo ideas

Even if you aren’t planning on getting a tattoo any time soon, saving tattoo ideas is very fun. It’s also a fun topic of conversation with friends. And who knows? Maybe one day you’ll show one of the photos to a tattoo artist!

1. Room decoration inspiration

If you’re bored by your room decor, or you’re planning on redecorating but don’t know where to start, creating a room decoration board can be a great way to organize your thoughts. Before coming to college, I created a board for my dorm, and it ended up helping me sort out what I wanted to buy for college and helped me move in easier, since I had a better idea of what I wanted my dorm to look like. 

1. A Pick-Me-Up board

Looking at photos that make you happy can be a great way to cheer yourself up when you’re feeling down. Personally, my pick-me-up board consists of photos of cows in fields, dogs, houses I find interesting, and generally photos where the atmosphere seems happy and calming to me. It might not cure everything, but it can definitely put a smile on your face. 

1. Stress Relief Techniques

Taking breaks from work and focusing on your mental health is extremely important, now more than ever. But sometimes, finding methods that work for you can feel like a barrier to relieving stress. There are lists upon lists of ideas on Pinterest to save. This can be a great way of finding new methods of stress relief, and maybe even can inspire you to introduce new methods to your friends and family.

Grace Brady

Wash U '24

Freshman at WashU interested in Creative Nonfiction Writing and WGSS. In my free time I love music, hammocking, playing frisbee, and baking.
We are WashU's Her Campus site designed for collegiettes here on campus.