10 Not So Halloween Movies Every Girl Should Marathon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

1. Halloweentown (series)

I’m just going to group the first three movies Halloweentown, Halloweentown II: Kalabar’s Revenge, and Halloweentown High, together since they are all equally as important. Needless to say, these movies absolutely reek of nostalgia. If you didn’t watch these as a kid, then I’m truly sorry. Basically, you didn’t have a childhood.

2. Return to Halloweentown

Return to Halloweentown is a bit different from the first three. It takes place at “Witch University,” but I like to think of it as WU (for obvious reasons). But since they changed the actress for Marnie, is it really Halloweentown? Sara Paxton (a.k.a. Aquamarine) replaced the original Marnie, played by Kimberly J. Brown. Why? I have no idea. Maybe Kalabar, that guy from the second movie, had something to do with it. He’s definitely salty about something. If anything it should be at his parents for naming him Kalabar. Seriously, they just set him up for a tough life.

3. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone

Ok so this isn’t really a Halloween movie, but there’s never a bad time to watch Harry Potter, honestly. Specifically, I would recommend the Sorcerer’s Stone since it’s the most lighthearted. It also actually shows Halloween at Hogwarts, which (no offense WashU) looks insanely lit.

4.  Rocky Horror Picture Show

Ever wondered what happened to Adam Lambert from American Idol? Found him! Wondering what Tori Vega (Victoria Justice) from Victorious did after graduating Hollywood Arts? Well, she landed this gig. In denial that Orange Is The New Black won’t be back until June? Here is Laverne Cox absolutely killing it as “Dr. Frank-N-Furter,” which is also a name that I’m considering releasing my mix-tape under.

5. Twitches

Still not giving up hope that I will someday find my long lost twin sister and discover our witch powers.

6. Hocus Pocus

Basically, this movie depicts ultimate squad goals. Also, it is incredibly entertaining (to me at least) to watch Sarah Jessica Parker as an evil witch. Think of it as a weird episode of Sex in The City where Carrie Bradshaw gets a little too experimental with her style.

7.  Carrie

Speaking of Carries, this movie is an absolute classic. Given that it’s actually categorized as a “thriller,” it’s scarier than the other movies listed above. For those of you who don’t know, its basically about this quiet girl, Carrie, whose upbringing by her insanely religious mother made her an outcast and a target for bullies in high school. Jokes on them though, since she releases her secret supernatural powers and gets revenge on all of them at prom. But I mean, who didn’t at least attempt to do this at their senior prom? #Relatable

8. The Nightmare Before Christmas

Don’t tell me that you don’t remember the songs that Disney Channel would play to advertise this. This is Halloween, this is Halloween, Halloween, Halloween, Halloween. Hands down best Halloween song (yes I’m looking at you, ‘Monster Mash.’)

9. Casper Meets Wendy

Ever wonder what Lizzie McGuire was doing before she became an international popstar for like a week? Well, apparently she was sneaking out at night, flying around on a broomstick and meeting ghosts. It’s cool though. We all went through rebellious phases.

10. Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Hopefully you are all familiar with this classic, but basically it’s about a girl who slays (yes literally slays) vampires with her friends. She does this all while simultaneously suffering through high school. I mean, I guess “vampire slayer” is a pretty cool thing to put on college apps, right?

Rachel is a junior in Olin Business School at Washington University in St. Louis. When she's not using her status as a twin as her obvious fun fact, she'll probably tell you that she loves photography, concerts, travel, Buzzfeed, and slaving over clever Instagram captions.