10 Great STL Dates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

So, you’ve exchanged numbers with a cutie. You go. But now what? You may be facing that awkward indecisiveness of where to hang out together. Fear not! I have compiled a list of great STL date ideas that are sure to end in happily ever after. So pause before you send him that oh-so-typical “haha idc, what do YOU wanna do?” text, and instead, skim this list and take charge on your next date.

1. Hi Pointe Theatre – Channel your inner artsy self and catch a vintage film at Hi Pointe, just about a mile from campus. 

2. Moolah Theatre & Lounge – If you’re feeling more traditional, the Moolah theatre is a great date spot as well. Relax on big, comfy couches and enjoy the latest flicks in a gorgeous old building. Afterwards, you can head downstairs and shoot some pool or test your skills at bowling in the old-school retro-style alley. 

3. Forest Park – You saw this one coming. What could be better than a picnic on art hill overlooking the fountains? Or if you’re the sporty type, how about a jog on the trails and coffee at Kayak’s? You might even consider heading to the Boathouse and renting paddleboats, or getting cultured at one of the free museums.

4. Crown Candy Kitchen – This is a must for anyone in STL. Do the whole “two people, one milkshake” thing. OR release your inner man versus food and attempt their five-milkshake challenge. A little competition goes a long way. Side note: get there right as it opens to avoid insane lines.

5. Blueberry Hill on the Loop – What could be better than an 8 oz. burger and darts?

6. Cherokee Street – Explore St. Louis’ Hispanic street. Eat some authentic Mexican food, check out antique shops and art galleries, and pick up handmade souvenirs from local merchants. If you’re feeling adventurous, hit 2720 Cherokee, an eclectic dancing club that attracts crowds just as diverse as its performers. 

7. Lemp Mansion – Learn a little more about St. Louis’ brewery history AND have a potential hand-grabbing moment with your date. Take a tour of the house supposedly haunted by members of the Lemp family who committed suicide during their reign over St. Louis’ beer industry.

8. The Arch – Well duh. BUT time it right and get there right before sunset. In the fall, the colors are literally breathtaking. 

9. Soulard Farmer’s Market – Explore one of the oldest and largest farmer’s markets in the nation. You and your date will have a blast people-watching and perusing vendors’ goods, walking through cute patio restaurants, and listening to live music. Make it a two-for-one, and stock up on some great fresh produce too. Make sure to go on a Saturday afternoon!

10. Cardinals playoff game – This IS baseball heaven (although being an STL native, I may be biased…) but even if you’re not a Cards fan, show STL some love and get down to the stadium.  It’s a great way to feel like a part of a community, and the atmosphere is unreal. What guy wouldn’t love this date?