This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

It’s no surprise that one of the biggest film industries is located in Japan’s capital city. Since the 1950s, Japanese films started to be acknowledged by foreign audiences and since then, has gained cult followings. Tokyo citizens are also active moviegoers. Major cinema chains such as TOHO Cinemas are so often packed with people, you would need prior reservations to watch a movie. But fret not, independently run cinemas are scattered around the city and offer a selection of both foreign, domestic, new and old films. Whenever you feel tired of TOHO’s crowd, or if you want to take a break from blockbuster movies, make sure to visit some of these cinemas. Let’s support local businesses!

Waseda Shochiku, Takadanobaba

Waseda students’ beloved Takadanobaba is not only a place for nomikais or commuting. Located among the Waseda-Takadanobaba street is Waseda Shochiku. The best thing about this theatre is that it offers double bills, meaning you can enjoy two movies for the price of one. Waseda Shochiku screens two (or three) movies a week, ranging from old classics to newly released, global festival films. You can visit the theatre every week and find something new to watch. 

Musashino-kan, Shinjuku 

Just a two-minute walk from the station, is one of Tokyo’s oldest independent cinema. Musashino-kan celebrated its 100th anniversary back in June—that’s 100 years of screening domestic and foreign independent films! If anyone is interested in recent independent Japanese cinema, this is the place to go. Aside from the diverse foreign film selection, they also often screen domestic festival movies you can’t find in major cinema chains.

Cinema Qualite, Shinjuku

Located right next to LUMINE Shinjuku, Cinema Qualite, a subsidiary of Musashino-kan, is another independent mini-cinema. Although related to Musashino-kan, you can find a diverse variety of screenings in Cinema Qualite. You can also find nicely displayed exhibits of movie promos and cardboard cutouts inside the lobby. When waiting for the theatre doors to open, you can use the opportunity to admire and take pictures with the decorations.

Institut Français du Japon, Iidabashi

Institut Français is a French cultural institution, with branches all over the world, including Tokyo. While most people visit to take French language classes, Institut Français also screens French language movies. French filmmakers have always been one of the biggest influencers of world cinema, so take this opportunity to learn more about French culture and language through movies. Take the time to also explore their institution and visit their Médiathèque (library) as well as other events – including talks, music and theatre performances and gastronomy.

Athénée Français Cultural Center, Suidobashi

One station away from Institut Français, is Athénée Français Cultural Center. This institution screens 20th-century foreign films in both 35mm and digital. One thing that distinguishes Athénée Français from other movie theatres, is their screening programs. Evert few weeks they come out with screenings focusing on a director, a country, or a time period, and visitors can enjoy up to 10 different films. Screening lists are carefully curated for the purpose of international exchange. Moviegoers can enjoy world cinema, and have the opportunity to interact and learn through some of their workshops and lectures.

Polepole, Higashi-Nakano 

By taking the JR Chuo-line from Suidobashi through Shinjuku, you can stop at Higashi-Nakano’s Pole-pole if you are interested in Japanese independent cinema. You can find a lot of recent Japanese films being screened in Polepole; in fact, many local filmmakers screen their movie debut here. Take the opportunity to also look around their gallery and try some of their teas and curry rice in their cafe. 

Laputa, Asagaya 

A few minutes walk from Asagaya station on the JR Chuo-line, will lead you to Laputa – a movie theatre screening old Japanese cinema. Located among a residential area, its tall, round, architecture will catch your attention. If you are interested in learning more about Japanese film history, come and visit Laputa, and maybe stroll around the neighbourhood and take a look at local bookstores and restaurants.  

Uplink, Shibuya & Kichijoji

If you’re not into old classics, you can visit Uplink in Shibuya or Kichijoji to watch more recent indie and blockbuster films. From Hollywood movies from recent years, or even Asian cinema from the 1980s, Uplink has got you covered. Their Shibuya branch also has a cafe, so you can enjoy a beverage or two while waiting for the theatre doors to open.

Shimotakaido Cinema, Shimotakaido 

Like Uplink, Shimotakaido Cinema also screens a diverse selection of movies.  They update frequently on their website and social media, so be sure to pay attention to what movies they will be screening in the future. If you missed a commercial film you wanted to watch, or if you couldn’t afford to travel abroad to go to film festivals, Shimotakaido Cinema may be able to fulfil your needs. The area is not exactly a touristy area, but it’s perfect if you’re looking to avoid big crowds and tall buildings.

Nadila N.

Waseda '22

Nadila is a Social Science student at Waseda University. She likes playing bass, watching foreign films and referring to herself in third person.