nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Maybe in a Parallel Universe…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

Do you ever wonder what your life would have been like if you had made different decisions? Said ‘yes’ instead of ‘no’? Sometimes I do. To be clear, I don’t look back at the past sorrowfully, regretting what I have decided to do with my life so far. Sometimes I just wonder how different my life would be if I never experienced the things that I have.

Photo courtesy of drmakete lab via Unsplash

Graduating from a high school in the US, the most obvious next step was to go to a university in my state or even in the country for that matter. I could see the perks and possibilities ahead of me; I could be with my friends, stay close to my family and practically continue life as usual. Instead, made the decision to go to university in Tokyo, Japan, a place that I had only visited a few times in the past. Since Jr. high school, it had been a dream of mine to study in Japan so I took the risk and turned away from the path that would have likely been the easiest for me and my family.

Now, being almost 2 years into my adventure here in Japan, I’m enjoying my experience but wonder who I would be if I had stayed closer to home. Would I be taking the risks that I’m taking right now? Would I be as independent as I am now? Would I have been happier if I had stuck to what I knew? Of course, I will never truly know the answer to all of these questions but I think it’s important to consider how my choices have shaped me and how they will continue to impact my life. Maybe this whole spiel is just a product of the far-too-many philosophy-related courses I’m taking, but I have realized that while changing the past is futile, learning from it is more than possible and extraordinarily important. If we all did that, maybe the world would be different?

Liberal Arts student obsessed with books, music, movies and all things creative. American, Japanese, and an honorary Canadian.