Wellness > Mental Health

What is Zoom Fatigue and Why it’s Happening

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

With the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, work, school, and social life has been accomplished virtually, and Zoom has been a popular medium for virtual communication. Not only can Zoom conduct live video chats and screen share, but it can also provide other benefits that are not accessible with other cloud platforms. Specifically, Zoom allows users to host up to 1000 participants in a single video call, put participants in smaller chats called “breakout rooms,” use the built-in whiteboard function as a learning supplement, and more. However, with the widespread use of Zoom, especially in professional settings, people have been experiencing what is called “Zoom fatigue.” 

So what exactly is Zoom fatigue?

Zoom fatigue is a newly coined term, describing the psychological effect of attending virtual meetings and get-togethers. The feeling of tiredness or lack of energy is due to the accumulation of the constant need to stay alert and focused on processing information remotely. The cause of this unique type of mental phenomena is not limited to Zoom and encompasses other video communication services. The term is named after Zoom as it is the most extensively used and ubiquitous application. 

zoom call with friends
Photo by Gabriel Benois from Unsplash

Zoom Fatigue: 3 Possible Causes

1. Facial expressions and visual cues: the need to look engaged continuously

One characteristic of video conferencing is to see all the participants’ faces at once using Gallery View. In Zoom, the maximum number of people that can be displayed on a page is 49. Although there are situations in real life where a significant number of people face a specific individual, such as a university professor, it is not common to be in such proximity with a large number of people staring back. In a real-life classroom, students see the back of heads of classmates sitting in front, and partially the faces of students sitting beside them while turning their back on students sitting behind. However, participants face the camera during a virtual interaction, allowing everyone’s’ facial expressions to be visible. Making eye contact simultaneously with multiple people is also made possible through video conferencing. This constant gaze of others, in addition to the need to look engaged with visual cues, can lead to fatigue accumulation. 

2. You are your only source of information

Another aspect of Zoom fatigue is experienced even without having to turn on the camera. In a classroom or workplace, people often can rely on colleagues or classmates whenever unclarities or questions arise. This can be in the form of asking a quick question to the person seated next to them or hearing others talk before and after classes/meetings. Unfortunately, this is not the case for virtual communication, unless they find the timing to send a “raising hand” signal, find the right timing to unmute themselves, or send a message to the group/private chat. Due to the inability to rely on others, it is essential to focus on what is said during the call. Concentrating for a prolonged period to avoid missing out on information is an evident cause of Zoom fatigue. 

3. Distractions

As previously stated, virtual communication requires increased focus; however, remote work/schooling allows for more distractions. As many are working and attending classes from the comfort of their own homes, people are in close contact with sources of interference, whether it be other family members or merely a smart device. Productivity may also decrease as a result of the absence of a higher figure keeping the individual in check. Individuals must overcome distractions and fight urges, which may lead to stress and frustration.

The future is unforeseeable, and this may be our new normal for years to come. Nonetheless, the negative impact of this new norm can be combatted. The first step is to acknowledge the seriousness of this issue. Although this is a relatively new phenomenon, the unhealthy effects are becoming apparent as professionals and head figures of institutions are initiating solutions and alternatives. With the emergence of issues that are unique to the current circumstances, it is crucial to understand that no one is at fault and that all feelings are valid. 

Ann Tsuchiya

Waseda '24

Undergraduate student pursuing International Liberal Studies. Born in Japan and raised in China.