Week in Review 5/25-5/31

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

As collegiettes with packed schedules, it can be difficult to keep up-to-date with the latest news. To help you stay informed and connected, we’re here to help with a round-up of the news stories which made headlines last week!

International

Profile: Ukraine’s President Petro Poroshenko

The latest development on the Ukraine crisis, a Presidential election was held on May 25. Find out more about newly-elected President Petro Poroshenko who is also known as the “Chocolate King”.

Politics

North Korea agrees to reopen probe into Japan abductees

In response to North Korea agreeing to re-open an inquiry into Japanese abductees, Japan has responded by agreeing to lift some of its sanctions. These include “restrictions on travel, fund remittances to North Korea and an embargo on the entry to Japanese ports of North Korea-flagged ships witih humanitarian missions.”

Economics

Consumption tax hike lifts inflation to a 23-year high

The recent sales tax increase may have put a dent in our wallets but Prime Minister Abe’s policy has been attributed to lifting the consumer price index by 3.2% to the highest level in 23 years.

Technology

Google Offers ‘Right to Be Forgotten’ Form in Europe

After Europe’s highest court ruled that Europeans had a right to be “forgotten” online (i.e. the right to request that search engines remove links to web pages with information about them deemed to be irrelevant or an invasion to their privacy), Google has responded by launching a new site for internet users to make their requests.

Entertainment

AKB48: Japanese girl band attacked by a fan wielding a saw

2 members of AKB48 were attacked by a male fan with a saw after a mini-concert. They sustained minor injuries.

Stay tuned for next week’s round-up!