This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

In the movies or a typical teenage drama, we see the main character being their individualistic self, narrating at the end of the movie or the last episode of the drama that we must be ourselves (while maybe kissing the “love of their life”), showing it to a hundred people inside the theater. We are bombarded with ads that convey the meaning of “being you” or “just be yourself” or “just do you” by different fashion and cosmetics brands who sell an extraordinary line of seasonal products, whether it’s a brand new color or design. We scroll through our social media pages, reading tons of comments from people who would give supportive words like “yas girl, just do you” or “a queen of revolution”, highlighting another person’s post about their individualistic actions, whether it be wearing clothes that stand out or sharing posts of words of wisdom about individuality. The world today revolves around standing out, whether it be through your opinions, your choices or merely your actions.

But what if your opinions and choices are believed by hundreds or even thousands of people? What if your actions of individualism are in essence, merely an act of collectivism?

Photo from Pixabay

Collectivism is a term emphasizing the needs and goals of the group as a whole over the needs and desires of each individual. In such cultures, relationships with other members of the group and the interconnectedness between people play a central role in each person’s identity.

What if we actually focus on being “interconnected” with people in society, by making ourselves seem “distinct”?

Photo courtesy of Pixabay

I’ve seen groups of people judging people who like mainstream media, saying that their taste is plain “basic” or “not interesting for their taste” but follow the “trend” of being “their own unique thing”, rewatching indie movies, listening to underground music, and buying clothes from brands that aren’t, for the lack of words, mainstream. Yet, out of all these things, what do they have in common? People already know who or what they like. Those indie movies you’ve watched might be movies people know about, those artists that are underground aren’t actually underground anymore, and those brands that are mainstream might actually be getting popular with people who are trying to stand out. In short, someone else might know what you already like.

Society has already made us obsess over being unique, trying to stand out because the 21st century has put it in our heads that we must be unique. We see this through our lives today with resumes that ask for a written part of your self PR or interviews where they ask “what is something that makes you stand out”. We see it through our classroom recitations, with professors wanting your own opinion of certain points of discussion.

In reality, it’s okay to be part of the trend. Sometimes it’s okay to follow the crowd and be mainstream. Sometimes it’s okay to be someone who follows society’s opinions because we’ve already integrated these opinions in our minds.  If you’re not hurting anybody and it makes you become a better person then don’t mind anybody and just do it.

Photo courtesy of Pixabay

Subculture

Eli Signo

Waseda '21

an aspiring writer with plenty of hopes and dreams. the downside is i always type in lowercase because i'm not used to seeing a lot of capital letters in one sentence.