This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

In recent years the music world has witnessed rapid growth and blossoming in the expression of social issues, particularly regarding race, gender, and sexuality. More artists are using music videos as a tool to explore such topics, often utilizing unique imagery that echo their messages and enrapture the viewer. Such music videos and songs portray their pride and struggle in society as they defy societal norms of sexuality and gender. Unbounded love and confidence can be strongly felt in tandem with the distinct imagery each song uses. Here are a selection of music videos that deal with aforementioned issues; some made in a cinema-like style while others rely on animation.

1. Benny – “Little Game” (2014) 

Using color symbolism, this work illustrates society’s rigid barriers and views on gender. Boys and girls are depicted in polar situations with different colors and surrounded by objects that reflect the expectations placed upon them; such as dolls for girls and sports gear for boys. Mesmerizing imagery, all using the colors pink and blue, not only please the eye but also project resistance against such stereotypes. Benny directly confronts these norms, as seen in the fusion between the two colors, signifying the breaking down of the wall that separates the two sexes.  

2. Studio Killers – “All Men Are Pigs” (2012) 

The title may seem raunchy, but the song itself speaks volumes about toxic masculinity as the singer criticizes the chauvinistic, patronizing attitude of men. With a bold approach, Studio Killers explicitly reveals the ways men often deceive women through their egoistical attitudes, referring to them as titular “pigs.” It is worth noting that the animated singers all wear wolf costumes; possibly alluding to the children’s story “The Three Little Pigs” in the sense that Cherry (the lead singer) is the one in power here. If interested, check out their other songs that deal with related issues, especially “Jenny” – a romantic ode to a lesbian’s lover. 

3. Ruby Rose – “Break Free” (2014) 

A candid, documentary-style music video, “Break Free” shows Ruby’s transformation from a girl to a masculine or androgynous figure. Being a non-binary artist, Ruby clearly reflects their identity and sexuality in this work as they detail their processes, involving the removal of their makeup and subsequent reveal of their tattoos hidden underneath. So much can be felt from the video regarding Ruby’s satisfaction in their changes, highlighting one’s happiness of being who they are; not held back by societal restrictions on gender. 

4. Stromae – “Tous Les Mêmes” (2013) 

Stromae is a distinct artist known for his beautiful, sometimes macabre music videos that tackle various issues ranging from cancer to gender norms, as seen in this one where he speaks from both the male and female perspective. The work is notable for its expert camerawork as it repeatedly switches from green (male) to pink (female) as Stromae respectively shows duality of the sexes, speaking of common stereotypes and complaints regarding each gender. Stromae’s androgyny can be clearly identified in the way he fluidly moves between the two genders; skilfully uniting art, music and gender issues in the process. 

5. Sløtface – “Nancy Drew” (2018)  

The titular girl detective is re-imagined as a feminist superhero in this vibrant animated masterpiece. Accompanied with an energetic tune and electric guitar music, the music video showcases the feats of the protagonist as she whimsically crushes villains, fueled by her power tapped from an adorably rendered uterus: a major symbol of feminism. Neon pinks and purples, matched with a comical art style, bring out the powerful essence of the song. 

6. Hayley Kiyoko – “Girls Like Girls” (2015) 

Hailed as an iconic Sapphic singer, Hayley Kiyoko is a master of same-sex love songs that feature lesbian romances and her own identity. This particular work is a cinematic  masterpiece for its artful portrayal of a relationship between two girls as they discover that their love for each other is strong, no matter what. The lyrics are honest and celebrate same-sex love, shamelessly proclaiming that “girls like girls like boys do.” The music video also carries historical importance for it was released just two days before gay marriage was legalized in America, making it a “gay anthem” among the LGBTQ community.

7. Calvin Harris, Sam Smith – “Promises” (2018) 

Paired with a voice by the gay Sam Smith, “Promises” is a colorful film that showcases ballroom culture; bursting with dazzling footage of gay, many of whom are black, men celebrating their pride of being themselves. Various performers exhibit superb dance moves to the retro beat of the music. Much glamour and inclusiveness can be immediately felt by the diverse cast, which also features Winnie Harlow, a model with vitiligo. For queer folks and those who have a taste for retro music, this work of art is a must-see.

Anna Kono

Waseda '20

Anna is a graduate from Waseda University in the SILS department. Likes art, animals, anything that is dandy and stylish. Needs to go to the sea every now and then to recharge.