This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

With the release of the Bohemian Rhapsody film last year and its recent success at the Golden Globes, it’s time to take a look back at some of Queen’s greatest hits.  

10. Keep Yourself Alive

Written by Brian May, “Keep Yourself Alive” is a classic rock tune. First thought up in the band’s early days, it became Queen’s very first single. The song was then ranked 31st of 100 Greatest Guitar Songs Of All Time by Rolling Stone in 2008. 

Source

9. I’m Going Slightly Mad

I think I’m a banana tree..

This song may not be the first to come to mind when thinking of Queen’s most popular songs, but certainly ranks amongst their most memorable. Boasting rather bizarre lyrics and a strange but brilliant music video, “I’m Going Slightly Mad”is one of the last songs released by Queen before Mercury passed away. The lighthearted and quirky song contrasts sharply to Mercury’s final song- “These Are The Days of Our Lives”.

8. Crazy Little Thing Called Love

Written by Mercury, this catchy upbeat tune made it to the UK’s Singles Chart in 1979 and topped US charts through 1980. Thought up in a bathtub in about ten minutes, Mercury’s song is a tribute to Elvis Presley which comes through in the pace and style of the song. 

Source

7. Teo Torriatte (Let Us Cling Together) 

The closing track to A Day at the Races, the song written by Brian May features two full choruses in Japanese. Performed live on Queen’s Japan tours, the song is still a part of the Band’s sets in their tours since Mercury’s death. Uniquely, the song is a tribute to the “special relationship” with Japan the band has had for many years, as May reflected on during one of Queen’s recent Japan shows. 

6. Killer Queen

Developed while Brian May was seriously ill in hospital, the song was worked on in the studio and at his bedside as the band perfected the piece. Part of the album Sheer Heart Attack, “Killer Queen” turned out to be a breakthrough song that showed Mercury’s astounding vocals. As Roger Taylor sums up “it was very sophisticated, and very Freddie.

Source

5. Radio GaGa

1984 saw Radio GaGa becoming a worldwide hit in 19 different countries. An 80s anthem, written by Roger Taylor, the song is catchy and lodges itself firmly in your head after just one listen. The hit was immortalized as part of Queen’s Live Aid concert set and continued to be performed, featuring in Mercury’s tribute concert, and at Queen concerts since.

Source

4. I Want To Break Free

A song you can sing at the top of your lungs, “I Want To Break Free”, is not only a brilliant song, but is arguably one of Queen’s best music videos. Spoofing the British television show, Coronation Street, it saw the lovely Roger Taylor as a schoolgirl, Brian May in a nightdress and curlers, John Deacon as a grandmother, and Freddie Mercury with boobs, and leather mini-skirt… still sporting his mustache. It shows the band’s fantastic music but also lets their audience and fans into the humor and fun that they had themselves. 

3. Don’t Stop Me Now 

Tonight, I’m gonna have myself a real good time…At number 3, “Don’t Stop Me Now”, is a smashing Queen classic. The song’s lyrics, beat and a brilliant guitar solo make it one that stands the test of time. 

2. Bohemian Rhapsody

Source

Just over six minutes long,  it reached Number 1 in the UK in both 1975 and 1991, and was the most streamed song of the 20th Century. An enduring classic, the song ranges in pitch from little high to little low, from operatic bits to a brilliant guitar solo. Queen’s masterpiece is unlike any classic rock song, omitting a chorus, it’s an epic, put to music. 

1. Under PressureSource

Love’s such an old fashioned word/ This is our last dance, this is ourselves…

Thought up by John Deacon, then forgotten by Deacon while the band went for dinner, “Under Pressure” is an iconic Queen song to say the least. What’s more is that it has Bowie and Queen all in one song. What else is left to say? 

A political Science student on exchange at Waseda. Hails from the UK, loves reading, travel, and hiking.
Liberal Arts student obsessed with books, music, movies and all things creative. American, Japanese, and an honorary Canadian.